Since a population’s health and well-being is greatly influenced by having safe, healthy, "livable" communities, a primary focus of public health work is on helping support livable communities efforts.
The information is presented in reverse chronological order by the source material's publication or release date and includes reports, case studies, tool kits and more.
If you have suggestions for resources to add to this collection, let us know by emailing email@example.com.
See our other Livable Communities archives
FEATURED GROUPS & REPORTS
- American Public Health Association
- Journal of Aging and Health
- Promoting Preventive Services for Adults 50-64: Community and Clinical Partnerships, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Community Tool Box
Developed by the University of Kansas’ Work Group for Community Health and Development, the Community Tool Box is a part of the work group’s role as a designated World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Community Health and Development.
Outside website content has not been reviewed or approved by AARP unless otherwise noted.
- Where We Live: Health
- How to Create an Aging-Well Resource Center
- Why People of All Ages Need to Play
- Age-Friendly and Demetia-Friendly Communities
- The State of Aging and Health in America 2013
- Keeping the Aging Population Healthy
Developed by the Council of State Governments (CSG) Healthy States Initiative, a publication funded by the CDC, this resource is directed at state legislators but can be used by community coalitions/partners in making a case to state representatives. Also includes a brief overview of public health.
- Pathways to Better Community Wayfinding
The document introduces the concept of wayfinding (i.e. "the process by which we find our way from place to place”) and why it benefits a person’s quality of life and improves public health.
- Strengthening the Effectiveness of Services for Older Americans
- AARP Planning for Healthy Living: The Next Challenge
- Healthy Aging Fact Sheet
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Fact Sheet
- Oregon Congregate and Home Delivered Nutrition Program Standards
- Trust for America’s Health
Find resources on Livable Communities through a website search, such as “Recommendations to Promote Health and Well-Being Among Aging Populations”
- Optimal Living Action Briefs
Developed by the Environmental and Policy Change for Healthy Aging Initiative and funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Healthy Aging Program, the briefs in this four-part series address planning and evaluation frameworks and were developed to to provide guidance for planners, local officials, and policymakers looking to implement healthy aging programs and establish community design that will facilitate aging in place
- Virginia Blueprint for Livable Communities
Developed by the Department of Health and Human Resources, Commonwealth of Virginia, in response to a legislative mandate.
- Healthy Aging: Improving and Extending Quality of Life Among Older Americans
- Healthy Aging: Helping People to Live Long and Productive Lives and Enjoy a Good Quality of Life
- AARP 2020 Vision for Aging Services
- Advancing Health and Long-Term Services and Supports
- Promising Strategies for Creating Healthy Eating and Active Living Environments
A publication of the Healthy Eating Active Living Convergence Partnership, this report summarizes 10 evidence-based strategies for promoting healthy eating and active living environments.