- Discounts on travel and everyday savings.
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine.
- Free membership for your spouse or partner.
AARP University Session Details
The AARP University was created to be the center of education for Life@50+ attendees. The goal of the University is to provide interactive, educational sessions by AARP staff experts on the latest AARP research, programs, services, benefits and larger issues of interest that affect our members and society.
- Balancing Work and Caregiving – Tips to Help You Juggle Your Job and Demands at Home
- Caring for All – A Multicultural Look at Caregiving
- Cool Tech for the 50+
- Financing Your Entrepreneurial Dream
- Get Packing! Experience the Travel Effect
- Life Lessons on Faith, Forgiveness and Grace
- Make the Most of Your AARP Membership
- Powerful Allies – Real Stories Making a Difference in the LGBT Community Presented by SAGE and the AARP Foundation
Balancing Work and Caregiving – Tips to Help You Juggle Your Job and Demands at Home
Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Freda Lewis-Hall, chief medical officer, Pfizer
You've got important deadlines at work and home, but your ailing father has been waking up every night this week and you need to take him to the doctor. What should you do? Often, there is support available from employers, family and friends. Family caregivers are not alone. It is important to make sure they take care of themselves and are aware of resources that are there for them. Hear those who have been family caregivers share their stories of how to balance a busy life and how family caregiving has helped shape them. If you are not working, come learn tips to share with others who are.
Caring for All – A Multicultural Look at Caregiving
Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Lorraine McClenny Wright, Ph.D., Multicultural Outreach volunteer, AARP North Carolina
- Lyda Arévalo-Flechas, Ph.D., MSN, RN, assistant professor, Texas State University
- Luisa Villacorta Foster, MBA
- Edna Kane-Williams, vice president, Multicultual Markets and Engagement, AARP (Moderator)
Over 3 in 10 U.S. households have had at least one person serve as an unpaid family caregiver within the past 12 months. But caregiving can show up differently in African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino and Asian families. Hispanic/Latino caregivers tend to be younger, African American/Black caregivers are more likely to help manage their loved one's finances and half of Asian caregivers are male. This session will focus on the different needs and experiences of multicultural caregivers and will share AARP resources and tools to assist them better as they face the daily challenges and unexpected joys of this shared experience.
Cool Tech for the 50+
Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Sanjay Khurana, director, AARP Innovation Center
- Mike Lee, senior advisor, AARP Digital Strategies and Operations
Whether it’s monitoring your health on the go or connecting with your grandkids, there has been an explosion of new technology designed to make your life easier and more enjoyable. The good news is that many of these new gadgets are easy to use and the prices are rapidly coming down. Come see live demonstrations of some of the coolest gadgets on the market — and some that have yet to go public — that use the latest technology to enhance your health, lifestyle and relationships.
Financing Your Entrepreneurial Dream
Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Amy Hilliard, founder and CEO, ComfortCake Company
- Panel of experts
You’ve decided you want to start or buy a business, become your own boss and live out your dream, but since the Great Recession, banks simply are not lending to small businesses the way they once did. So, where do you go to get the money you need to start or help run a business? Just because the banks aren’t lending doesn’t mean there aren’t alternatives. This session will explore the alternatives of micro-finance, crowd-funding and peer-to-peer lending. Experts from the Kauffman Foundation and ACCION will provide a road map to these new sources of funding, and Amy Hilliard, founder and CEO of ComfortCake Company, will share the lessons she learned raising capital for her now-successful business. Bring your questions and learn how to make hopes and dreams come alive.
Get Packing! Experience the Travel Effect
Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Paul D. Nussbaum, Ph.D., ABPP, AARP Brain Health Expert
- Samantha Brown, AARP Travel Ambassador
- Pepper Schwartz, Ph.D., AARP Love and Relationships Expert
- Catherine Collinson, president, Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies
We all know that travel is fun, but did you know that people who travel enjoy long-lasting benefits such as improved health, stronger relationships and a better sex life? Join travel experts as we talk about ways to get the most out of your travel — physically, cognitively and emotionally!
Life Lessons on Faith, Forgiveness and Grace
Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Merri Dee, television and radio broadcaster, civic leader, children’s advocate, philanthropist
Merri Dee’s broadcasting career spans 43 years in television and radio with 38 of those years at Tribune superstation WGN-TV. She is one of the first African American women to anchor the news in a major media market. As AARP Illinois state president, she has reimagined life after 50-60-70. She will share poignant excerpts from her memoir Life Lessons on Faith, Forgiveness & Grace, including the horrific kidnapping and shooting she endured while working, followed by a Q&A session with the audience. This memoir teaches us that we have the resiliency to live our best lives every day. If it is to be, it is up to me!
Make the Most of Your AARP Membership
Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Lynn Mento, senior vice president, AARP Membership
- Sami Hassanyeh, chief digital officer, AARP
- Angela Jones, senior vice president, Lifestyle, AARP Services Inc.
- David Mathis, senior vice president, Health, AARP Services Inc.
- Kyle Rakow, senior advisor, AARP Education and Outreach
- Anne Herbster, director, Brand Management, AARP
Discover the benefits of membership during an interactive, engaging panel discussion with AARP executives. Join us to learn about how you can get the most value from the AARP card already in your wallet. Find out more on all the great AARP education and information resources and tools at your fingertips. Plus you'll learn about ways AARP can help you and your family pursue your goals and dreams and connect with others with shared interests. We'll also share information on ways AARP can provide access to real savings for you and your family — at restaurants, movie theaters, pharmacies and more.
Powerful Allies – Real Stories Making a Difference in the LGBT Community Presented by SAGE and the AARP Foundation
Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Michael Adams, executive director, Service and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Elders (SAGE)
- Walter Woods, vice president, Impact Program – Isolation, AARP Foundation
SAGE and AARP share a commitment to improving the well-being of all people 50-plus including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older people. The two organizations — both leaders in their fields — have a growing track record of collaborating to better the lives of diverse older people across the country. Recently, AARP Foundation formed a path-breaking partnership with SAGE to pilot an innovative digital storytelling program for LGBT older people — SAGE Story. This session will shine a spotlight on the opportunities and challenges facing LGBT people who are 50-plus and how SAGE, AARP and our members and supporters can work together to transform the landscape on LGBT aging.
Discounts & Benefits
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can save 20% on online purchases at 1-800-Flowers.com.
Go Mobile with RealPad. Connect, play and share plus free 24/7 live customer support.
Brain boost? Get AARP email for access to brain health information and resources that help you focus.