Towns, cities, counties and states seeking to enroll in the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities are required to submit a membership application, as well as a letter of commitment, which must be signed by the jurisdiction’s highest elected official. (For example, the state's governor, the town’s mayor, a county’s executive, etc.)
The application and letter should be provided to the AARP staff member with whom the community has been working. Communities that are working independently may submit their documents via email attachment to Livable@AARP.org.
Download the Membership Application
The application includes automatic membership in the World Health Organization's Global Network of Age-Friendly Cities and Communities. (An opt-out option is available.)
The Letter of Commitment
While there is some flexibility in how the letter can be worded, the following commitments must be addressed in the content of the letter.
- Establishing mechanisms to involve older people
- A baseline assessment of the age-friendliness of the community
- The development of a community-wide action plan based on the findings of the assessment
- Identification of indicators so progress can be monitored against the action plan
The following letters (downloadable as PDFs) can be used as examples:
- Austin, Texas: Office of Mayor Lee Leffingwell
- Chemung County, Elmira, New York: Office of County Executive Thomas J. Santulli
- Great Neck, New York (Village of Great Neck Plaza): Office of Mayor Jean A. Celender
- Washington, D.C.: Office of Mayor Vincent C. Gray
In addition to the required membership application and commitment letter, some communities choose to pass a resolution or issue a proclamation.
- Model Local Executive Order
- Village of Great Neck Plaza Resolution No. 3 of 2013
- Town of Brookhaven Resolution No. 2013-269
Submitting the Application — and Next Steps
The membership form includes details about how to submit the application.
Once the application is approved and processed, member materials and resources will be provided by AARP.