The 2018 wildfire season in California was the deadliest and most destructive in the state’s history — with over 1 million acres destroyed. Entire neighborhoods were consumed by the flames, leaving people without employment, and families without homes.
The need in California was urgent — and you answered our call to help seniors who lost so much. I want to update you on how your gift is helping them recover.
Thanks to donors like you, $1.2 million in emergency grants, with $500,000 in matched funds from AARP and AARP Foundation, has been distributed to nine organizations:
- North Valley Community Foundation
- Legal Services of Northern California
- United Way of Northern California
- Community Action Agency of Butte County
- California Vocations, Inc.
- Chico Veterans Resource
- Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles
- Ventura County Community Foundation
- California Community Foundation
Through the work of these organizations, your donation has helped seniors devastated by the wildfires repair their homes, access legal advocacy, and obtain financial support.
The process of rebuilding and recovering for Californians will be a long one. But your emergency gift has set that process in motion for many of the state’s older adults. Your compassion and generosity is inspiring.