- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Pre-book your airport parking with Park Ride Fly USA using the coupon code IDEA50SAN and save 20 percent on your reservation. Learn more
Ideas@50+ San Diego Community Day of Service
The Ideas@50+ San Diego Community Day of Service will host on-site projects at the San Diego Convention Center. Participating volunteers
will transition from the Community Day of Service opening reception to the on-site project stations around the convention center. The following volunteer activities will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 1 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 4:
Full of Joy Gift Boxes
Volunteers will have the opportunity to rotate through a series of activities, creating items that will be boxed with a seasonal bow, to bring cheer to hundreds of San Diego’s older residents living in poverty.
- Decorating pots and planting seeds. Plants in the home have been found to lift spirits, reduce depression and improve health. In this activity, volunteers will decorate flowerpots and then fill them with potting soil and seeds.
- Decorating tiles. Volunteers will decorate 4-by-4-inch tiles with beautiful photographs, inspiring quotes or other images, preserve them with Mod Podge sealer, and then finish them so they can be used as coasters or small wall hangings.
- Writing letters. Volunteers will handwrite uplifting notes that will be enclosed in each gift box, along with the terra-cotta pots and decorative tiles.
Benefiting agency partners include Serving Seniors, which helps low-income seniors to live healthy and fulfilling lives.
Volunteers will create learning aids for children in various age groups who are living in low-income areas of San Diego. Why do words matter so much?
- Preserving books. Volunteers will use Mylar protective overlays to preserve the life of hundreds of brand-new children’s books. For many, this will be the first book — or one of the very few books — they own.
- Compiling flash cards. At this station, volunteers will be assembling age-appropriate flash card sets for children in the San Diego area.
Volunteers will build skateboards for youth living in an urban and diverse neighborhood of San Diego. Skateboarding allows children to pursue an athletic activity that they love, keeps them off the street and builds community around a common healthy interest.
- Assembling skateboards. Volunteers will put together the deck, trucks, wheels, bearings and mounting hardware. Don’t know what all that is? No problem. No experience is necessary. All tools and supplies will be provided at the station.
Volunteers should wear sturdy, comfortable clothes and be aware that while performing some of the volunteer tasks, they may get dirty. Volunteers will receive a T-shirt. Water and snacks will be provided.
Information on the projects we will support in San Diego neighborhoods is coming soon.
Register and book your hotel for Ideas@50+ in San Diego using any of these options:
*Non-member registration includes a 1-year AARP membership.
Need Assistance With Registration?
Call 1-800-650-6839 and one of our registration specialists will be happy to assist you with your Ideas@50+ registration and hotel reservations, or contact us.
Discounts & Benefits
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members pay $8 for Regal ePremiere tickets online. Conditions apply.
Members save 10% at Michaels every day with their AARP membership card.
Members save up to 60% on eye exams with AARP® Vision Discounts provided by EyeMed.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.