Industry: Hospitals/Health Care Location: Leesburg, Fla. Website: www.CFHAlliance.org
Winning Years: 2013, 2011, 2009, 2008
Highlights of 2013 Winning Strategies
Central Florida Health Alliance (CFHA) offers its employees numerous health and wellness benefits. Employees and dependents covered under the organization’s health care plan can use its Urgent Care Center for sick visits free of charge. Employees also receive the following free benefits: educational classes on health and nutrition, a full lab panel, health biometrics screening, case management and a tobacco cessation program. An on-site Wellness Center with subsidized low cost membership is available and employees participating in the Wellness Program receive a discount on their health insurance premiums.
Additional Policies and Practices
- Recruiting: CFHA uses senior placement agencies to target mature workers and retirees.
- Workplace Culture/Continued Opportunities: Employees working 20-plus hours per week benefit from the tuition reimbursement program and are eligible for certification classes. In-house classroom training, online training, scholarship programs, home study modules and Alliance University are offered to all employees. In a recent 12-month period, 100 percent of employees participated in at least one of the training opportunities with an average of 24 hours spent in training. Long-service anniversaries are celebrated with announcements, parties, gifts and awards. Employees have opportunities to gain new experiences by working on temporary assignments in other departments, on team projects, and by participating in formal job rotation and mentoring programs. CFHA purchases specialized phones/pagers for its hearing-impaired employees and computer modifications are made for employees with sight limitations. In addition, work areas are modified to accommodate employees with special needs, motorized wheelchairs are provided, and flexible work options such as modified hours and job redesigns are offered for employees with unique needs.
- Benefits/Health: Employees working 20-plus hours per week receive individual and family medical coverage, individual and family prescription drug coverage, individual and family vision and dental insurance, and short- and long-term disability. Flexible spending accounts (FSAs) are available to assist in covering out-of-pocket health care costs. The Caring & Sharing Committee provides financial assistance to employees experiencing a financial hardship. Full- and part-time employees are offered flu shots, health screenings, health risk appraisals, health club discounts, weight loss programs and counseling, and stress management training. All employees have utilized at least one of these wellness benefits during a recent 12-month period. EAP services are available to full- and part-time employees as well as their family members.
- Benefits/Financial: All employees are eligible for a 401(k) plan with employer match. All new hires are automatically enrolled in the 401(k) plan, employees may invest in lifecycle funds that automatically reallocate assets based on age or proximity to retirement, and those age 50-plus are able to make catch-up contributions. Financial information is offered from staff members from the financial services firm who administer the savings plans and from external financial planning experts. CFHA’s Work/Life Balance Program provides employees with free personalized sessions with financial planners. Provisions for caregiving include short-term and long-term leaves of absence without pay. CFHA offers the following dependent care benefits to its full- and part-time employees: on-site child care and grandchild care, referral services to assist with child care, grandchild care and eldercare, and backup care for child care and grandchild care.
- Benefits/Alternative Work Arrangements: Flextime and a formal phased retirement program are alternative work arrangements offered to all employees, compressed work schedules are offered to employees working 24-plus hours per week, and job sharing, as well as telecommuting, are offered to employees working 20-plus hours per week. Full-time employees are eligible to move to part-time work on a permanent or temporary basis.
- Opportunities for Retirees: CFHA has 478 retirees and an individual directly responsible for retiree relations. The health organization stays connected to its retirees by inviting retirees to organization events, providing ongoing access to retirement planning workshops and information, and by formally acknowledging retirees upon retirement. Retirees are offered the following work opportunities: temporary work assignments, consulting and contract work, telecommuting, as well as full- and part-time work.
- Age of Workforce: Forty-three percent of CFHA employees are age 50-plus. The average tenure of employees age 50-plus is nine years.
Also of Interest: More AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50