Skip to content

10 Essential Boomer Movies

Famed director Oliver Stone picks iconic films from the boomer generation

• Movie Clip From The Graduate Starring Actors Dustin Hoffman And Anne Bancroft, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    Pictorial Press Ltd/Alamy

'The Graduate' (1967)

En español | One of the first movies to address young people as an entity unto themselves — a new form of species, dislocated, alienated. The thought of working in the plastics business was smothering.

1 of 13
  • Movie Still From Easy Rider, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    AF Archive/Alamy

'Easy Rider' (1969)

Freedom, motorcycles, long hair and a general contempt for the Southern rednecks who were fighting in Vietnam.

2 of 13
  • A Clockwork Orange Starring Malcolm McDowell, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    INTERFOTO/Alamy

'A Clockwork Orange' (1971)

Anarchic and innovative. It respected youth, as divorced from the state. And because we were in an antiauthoritarian age, we embraced it. Many of us, anyway. I think lot of people didn’t know what the hell was going on.

3 of 13
  • Movie Clip From The Godfather, Actor Marlon Brando, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    AF Archive/Alamy

'The Godfather' (1972) / 'The Godfather: Part II' (1974)

Perhaps the most significant films of the boomer age. The Godfather broke open everything. In ’72, I had just gotten out of film school. I was a cabdriver. That movie was setting the standard. It made you want to do better.

4 of 13
  • Movie Still From Jaws, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    Glasshouse Images/Alamy

'Jaws' (1975)

That summer was incredible. We were young and in the prime of our 1970s mischief. And here was the ultimate enemy. Spielberg in his true glory.  

5 of 13
  • AARP Offer

Sign up for the AARP Lifestyle Newsletter to find out about new movies, great games and travel ideas each month. By joining AARP today, you can also save on movie tickets, restaurants, airfare, hotels and more and have even more fun!

6 of 13
  • Movie Still From All The President's Men, Actors Robert Redford And Dustin Hoffman, Movies, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    AF Archive/Alamy

'All the President's Men' (1976)

A naked appeal to liberals who wanted to be free of Richard Nixon. It created a myth, in a way, that the press was so free. That probably did long-term damage, because then the press went to sleep. But it was wonderfully made. Here was a film about office work. A lot of desks. 

7 of 13
  • Movie Still From Annie Hall Starring Actors Woody Allen And Diane Keaton, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies

'Annie Hall' (1977)

For me, it was the first woman’s film, although many had been made at that time because feminism was popular in the late ’60s and early ’70s. But Annie Hall made this quirky heroine more available to everybody; we saw a woman with a different lifestyle, going about her life. A fascinating movie.

8 of 13
  • Movie Still From Apocalypse Now, Movie, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies

'Apocalypse Now' (1979)

It made Vietnam into grand opera. Although, as I pointed out when I did my movie about Vietnam, it wasn’t very compassionate toward the Vietnamese.

9 of 13
  • Movie Still From Kramer Versus Kramer, Actors Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep And Justin Henry, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    AF Archive/Alamy

'Kramer vs. Kramer' (1979)

Two great actors, Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman. But it was a small film, a wonderfully rendered story of a divorce and how it affected the child. My parents were divorced; I’d had a divorce already. This was a midlife issue for boomers.

10 of 13
  • Reds Movie Still, Actors Warren Beatty And Diane Keaton, AARP Entertainment, Essential Boomer Movies
    Paramount/Courtesy Everett Collection

'Reds' (1981)

A personal favorite. Warren Beatty and Diane Keaton as lovers. Never a big commercial hit, but a liberating film.   

11 of 13
  • AARP Baby Boomers (Sean McCabe)
    12 of 13
  • Entertainment End-Slide
    13 of 13