En español | Before you choose a Medicare plan, think about your options carefully. Read through the information that is available on all the plans. Talk to your doctor and friends who have Medicare. Compare the costs, benefits, and quality of the plans you are considering.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What is most important to you in a Medicare plan — cost, coverage or convenience?
- Will you have your choice of health care providers?
- Will the plan you choose meet your needs? How does the plan’s quality ratings compare with others in your area? With those nationally?
- How much will you have to pay for your health care and prescription drugs?
- Will you have coverage if you travel frequently or leave your hometown for long periods of time?
To compare Medicare plans, use the Medicare Plan Finder at www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan, on the official U.S. government site for people with Medicare, which allows you to compare plans by cost, by quality and by other features that may be of importance to you.
You can contact Medicare directly by calling 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227; TTY 877-486-2048).