As you know, the 2017 hurricane season was unprecedented in the number and intensity of storms that wreaked havoc across the U.S. and the Caribbean. Before 2017 comes to a close, I wanted to share an update on our Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria relief efforts.
In early September, Hurricane Irma caused extensive destruction across the Caribbean, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Florida -- less than two weeks after Hurricane Harvey had devastated parts of southern Texas. And a third, equally catastrophic storm, Maria, followed a few weeks later, impacting many of the same Caribbean islands -- especially Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Thanks to donors who stepped up and made a difference, AARP Foundation’s Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria emergency relief funds have distributed grants totaling more than $2,255,000 for recovery efforts across Florida, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and other islands in the Caribbean affected by these storms.
- Hurricane Irma emergency relief fund raised more than $1.75 million -- which includes $850,000 in matching contributions from AARP, AARP Foundation and the Miami Dolphins organization.
- Hurricane Maria emergency relief fund raised more than $505,000 -- which includes $250,000 in matching contributions from AARP Foundation.
In collaboration with AARP Foundation field offices and AARP state offices in Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with relief organizations in the Caribbean, AARP Foundation has worked to identify community-based groups with a focus on helping vulnerable older adults. Emergency grants will be made to 31 organizations to help provide food, home repair, legal advocacy and support as the affected communities continue the long rebuilding process.
- Alliance for Aging in Miami-Dade and Monroe
- Council on Aging of Martin County
- Feeding Tampa Bay
- Friendship Centers of Southwest Florida
- Harry Chapin Food Bank of Southwest Florida
- Heart of Florida United Way
- Jewish Family & Community Services of Southwest Florida
- Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County
- Legal Services of Greater Miami
- Lutheran Social Services of NE Florida
- Miami Rescue Mission
- Nassau County Council on Aging
- Senior Connection Center
- St. John's Council on Aging
- United Way of Broward County
- United Way of Miami-Dade
- Foundation for Puerto Rico
- Fundación Fondo de Acceso a la Justicia
- Fundación Angel Ramos
- Hispanic Federation
- Instituto Desarrollo Socioeconomico y Vivienda de Puerto Rico
- World Central Kitchen
U.S. Virgin Islands:
- American Red Cross of the Virgin Islands
- Legal Services of the Virgin Islands
- Lutheran Social Services of the Virgin Islands
- St. Croix Foundation
- Women's Coalition of St. Croix
- Habitat for Humanity
- HelpAge USA
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
The process of reconstructing homes and lives is under way. The generosity of donors is fueling that work and truly making a difference in these trying times.