As Hurricane Matthew battered communities from Haiti to North Carolina, generous individuals responded to the growing crisis with incredible compassion.
More than 3,300 supporters came together to extend a helping hand to seniors who faced hardship in the wake of this disaster. Together with matching gifts from AARP and AARP Foundation, we were able to distribute more than $600,000 to the following organizations that are helping residents get back on their feet in the U.S. and abroad -- many of them with a special focus on helping vulnerable older adults:
• Elder Source, Florida
• Senior Resource Alliance, Florida
• Home Works of America, South Carolina
• United Way of North Carolina, North Carolina
• Food Bank of Albemarle, North Carolina
• The Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina, North Carolina
• Second Harvest Food Bank of Southeast North Carolina, North Carolina
• Legal Aid of North Carolina, North Carolina
• HelpAge, Haiti
• Habitat for Humanity, Haiti
Thanks to you, more people are getting what they need to get back on their feet -- from food and shelter to legal assistance and grants to help rebuild. The long process of reconstructing homes and lives has begun. Your generous emergency gift is truly making a difference.