Help pack a million meals for struggling seniors on Sept. 11. Volunteer today



Contests and

Driver Safety

Piggy bank on the road - AARP Driver Safety

Take the new AARP Smart Driver Course!

Happy African American couple

AARP Books

Visit the Books Section

Enjoy titles on retirement, Social Security, and becoming debt-free.

Jobs You Might Like

most popular


Can't Pay Your Taxes?

The IRS offers options for getting right with Uncle Sam

En español | It happens to the most honest of us. You make a financial decision or two that leaves you owing a hefty tax bill to Uncle Sam. Now the IRS is breathing down your neck. You want to pay. But you can't fathom where in the world the money's going to come from.

How to get tax foregiveness

Depending on your circumstances, you may be granted a short extension period to pay your tax in full. — iStockPhoto

Often, it's the self-employed who get into this trouble by missing quarterly payments and never catching up, says Greta Hicks, a Houston-based CPA who once worked for the IRS. But in these economic times especially, people of all kinds are getting behind. "Some have to withdraw [money] from retirement plans and IRAs. And then they owe taxes on that."

Do you owe the IRS right now? The first thing to do is open all mail from the agency so you're on top of the matter. Next, stay calm. Well, it's understandable if you panic a little, because the IRS wields power that can make your life miserable.

Depending on your situation, the agency can take your paycheck and your bank and retirement accounts, Hicks notes. And more: "They'll seize land, business assets, cars — anything they can auction and turn into cash quickly."

But all is not lost if you act now. Consider the following six strategies to get back in good graces with Uncle Sam:

1. Ask for more time. Depending on your circumstances, you may be granted a short extension period to pay your tax in full. You can request this by filling out an application for an online payment agreement or by calling 800-829-1040.

2. Try for an installment plan. If you owe $50,000 or less in combined taxes, penalties and interest, you can fill out the application for an online payment agreement. If your bill is more than $50,000, you'll also need to use paper form 433-A (PDF) (for self-employed individuals), 433-B (PDF) (for partnerships, corporations and limited liability corporations) or 433-F (PDF) (for your personal household taxes). Be prepared to divulge accurate financial details. Fees for setting up payment plans can range from $43 to $105.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


The Cheap Life

Jeff Yeager Cheap Life Ultimate Cheapskate AARP YouTube web series save money

Catch the latest episode of The Cheap Life starring Jeff Yeager, AARP's Ultimate Cheapskate. Watch

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Member Benefits HomeServe

Members can protect their homes with comprehensive repair plans from HomeServe.

AARP Credit card from Chase

Members can get cash back rewards on purchases with the AARP® Credit Card from Chase.

Woman holding smartphone in city, Google map tool

Members can find discounts on the go via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder app.

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points


Advance your skills. Transform your career.

Explore your learning possibilities.