Help pack a million meals for struggling seniors on 9-11. Volunteer today



Driver Safety

Piggy bank on the road - AARP Driver Safety

Take the new AARP Smart Driver Course!

Happy African American couple

AARP Books

Visit the Books Section

Enjoy titles on retirement, Social Security, and becoming debt-free.

Jobs You Might Like

most popular


Ask Sid

How Can I Dispute Credit Card Charge?

Lay out your case in a letter to the card issuer — and follow up

Q. I was charged for merchandise I never received. Phone calls to the company were not returned, and calling my credit card issuer got me nowhere. What's next?

A. Merchandise orders that you make online, by phone or fax should arrive in about 30 days. If there's going to be a delay — due to a stocking problem, say — the merchant is required to notify you by phone, mail or email, giving you the option of accepting a revised shipping date or getting a full refund.

See also: Is it better to use a debit or credit card?

So your next step is to formally dispute the charge by writing a letter to the bank that issued your credit card. You can get wording tips from a sample letter on the Federal Trade Commission's website. Give details and point out failures to follow the rules of shipping.

Send the letter by certified mail, and with return receipt requested, to the address that your statement gives for billing inquiries — not where you usually send your payments. The letter needs to reach the plastic provider within 60 days after it mailed you the statement that contains the charge.

Mail a copy to the unresponsive company (also by certified mail, with return receipt). For added oomph, consider sending copies to your state or local consumer protection office and state attorney general.

Under the law, the credit card issuer must acknowledge your complaint in writing within 30 days of receiving it. So call if you don't hear back by then.

During the ensuing investigation phase, you can withhold payment of the disputed amount, but you must continue payments on other charges on your account, including interest. The issuer is required to resolve the dispute within two billing cycles.

Debit cards have fewer legally required protections and immediately take money from your account. So it can be harder to get a refund for late or undelivered goods. That's a good reason for using a credit card for such purchases.

But debit card shoppers who have a problem should also make an immediate call and send a follow-up letter to the issuing bank, which usually will seek a resolution, especially for longtime and valued customers.

Also of interest: Credit card fraud in hotels. >>

Sid Kirchheimer writes about consumer and health issues.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


The Cheap Life

Jeff Yeager Cheap Life Ultimate Cheapskate AARP YouTube web series save money

Catch the latest episode of The Cheap Life starring Jeff Yeager, AARP's Ultimate Cheapskate. Watch

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Member Benefits HomeServe

Members can protect their homes with comprehensive repair plans from HomeServe.

AARP Credit card from Chase

Members can get cash back rewards on purchases with the AARP® Credit Card from Chase.

Woman holding smartphone in city, Google map tool

Members can find discounts on the go via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder app.

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points


Advance your skills. Transform your career.

Explore your learning possibilities.