We’re Giving Away $50,000! Enter Now. See Official Rules


AARP Staying Sharp: Keep Your Brain Healthy


The tablet with free 24/7 customer support. Learn More


Military and Veterans Discount


AARP’s Picture Your Retirement Sweepstakes

Enter the $50K Picture Your Retirement Sweepstakes. Ends 8/31/15. No purchase necessary. Enter for Official Rules.


AARP Games - Play Now!

AARP Books

Medicare for Dummies book cover

Get the answers you need, from Patricia Barry, AARP's Ask Ms. Medicare

Share Your Thoughts

Reader stories help us fine-tune our education efforts and strengthen our calls for action on issues that matter most to you. We read and learn from every story and may use yours (with permission) to brief legislators, inspire other readers and more. Please share your story with us. Do

Most Popular


Ask Ms. Medicare

Medicare Enrollment When You Have Coverage From Your Spouse’s Employer

Q. I’m nearly 65 and retired but have excellent health care coverage under my wife’s employer plan. We hope to use this until she retires in 10 years. But if I don’t enroll in Medicare now, will I be penalized when I sign up after her retirement?

A. No, as long as you follow Medicare’s rules. Almost anybody who is retired but has group health coverage from the employer of a spouse who is still working does not need to sign up for Medicare Part B on reaching 65. When your spouse retires —or gets laid off or otherwise stops working for this employer — you will then be entitled to a special enrollment period to sign up. This period lasts for up to eight months after employer coverage comes to an end. As long as you enroll in Part B (which covers doctors’ and other outpatient services) during this time frame, you won’t incur a late penalty. You’ll also get a guaranteed right to buy medigap supplemental insurance (without any current or past health issues being used to determine the amount of your premiums) within six months of enrolling in Part B.

Under various laws, employers with 20 or more workers must offer exactly the same health benefits to employees and their spouses over age 65 as are offered to younger workers and spouses.  These employers cannot require you to enroll in Medicare Part B or offer you any inducements to do so—such as paying the premiums of a Medicare Advantage plan or a medigap supplemental insurance policy.  See: “Ask Ms. Medicare: Medicare When Working Beyond 65.”

These rules and protections now apply equally to same-sex couples who have been married under the laws of their state or country—even if they live in a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage.  See: “Ask Ms. Medicare: Marital Status and Medicare Eligibility.”

You can enroll in Part A (hospital insurance) during your seven-month initial enrollment period around your 65th birthday. It won’t cost you anything—there are no premiums for Part A if you’re entitled to Medicare—but it provides an opportunity to tell Social Security that you’re delaying Part B because you have health coverage under your spouse’s employer plan, and this fact will be recorded in its computer system.

However, there are some exceptions to these general rules that you need to pay attention to:

  • Check whether your spouse’s employer plan requires you, as a covered dependent, to enroll in Medicare when you turn 65. Some plans —notably the military’s TriCare-for-Life coverage and health benefits provided by an employer with fewer than 20 employees — automatically become secondary to Medicare when an enrollee becomes entitled to Medicare—which means that Medicare pays claims first. In this case, if you’re not enrolled in Medicare, you would receive almost no coverage from the employer plan. See “Ask Ms. Medicare: TriCare and Medicare."
  • If you are not married but living in a same-sex or opposite-sex domestic partnership, and you are covered by your partner's health insurance at work, you should enroll in Part A and Part B during your initial enrollment period at age 65 to avoid late penalties. In this situation, you are not entitled to a special enrollment period when your partner stops work, unless you are in a heterosexual relationship and live in one of the very few states that recognize common-law marriages.

Also, remember that the key phrase in the general rules is “a spouse who receives health insurance under current employment.” In other words, she or he is still working for the employer that provides the health coverage. So, even if your spouse receives terrific retiree health benefits after ceasing to work, both of you should consider signing up for Medicare (Parts A and B) at that time. You’re not obligated to enroll, of course. But if you don’t, and some years down the line those retiree benefits come to an end for some reason, you would not then be entitled to a special enrollment period and would therefore be liable for permanent late penalties.

What if you sign up for Part B but later you or your spouse gets a job with health benefits?  If this coverage meets all the conditions specified above, you can opt out of Part B at any time.  For details on how to do it, see “Disenrolling From Part B.”

And what about Medicare prescription drug coverage, Part D? Here the rules are different. As long as you continue to receive “creditable” drug coverage under the employer plan—whether your spouse is still working or retired—you do not need to sign up for a Part D plan.

Creditable coverage means that Medicare considers it as good as Part D. The benefits administrator of the employer plan can tell you whether it is or not. If you lose this coverage at some stage, you will then receive a special enrollment period of two months to sign up with a Part D drug plan without incurring a late penalty.

Patricia Barry is a senior editor for AARP Integrated Media and the author of “Medicare For Dummies” (Wiley/AARP, October 2013).

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Walgreens 1 discount membership aarp

Members can earn 50 points per $1 spent on select health & wellness products at Walgreens.

member benefit aarp hear usa

Members save 15% on easy listening devices and more at the HearUSA Hearing Shop.

Eye Med 4 Membership Benefit AARP Discount

Members save up to 60% on eye exams and 30% on glasses at Target Optical.

Membership Benefits Discounts Email Genius

Brain boost? Get AARP email for access to memory exercises & more that help you focus.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points