The Affordable Care Act's health insurance marketplace enables people without medical coverage to shop for and purchase affordable, comprehensive health insurance.
The dates to know:
Nov. 15, 2014: Health insurance marketplace open enrollment begins
Jan. 1, 2015: Health coverage for 2015 starts
Feb. 15, 2015: Marketplace open enrollment ends
- If you enroll in a private health insurance plan any time between Nov. 15, 2014 and Dec. 15, 2014, and make your first premium payment, your new health coverage will start Jan. 1, 2015.
- The day your coverage starts depends on when you enroll in coverage. For example:If you enroll between November 15, 2014 and December 15, 2014, your coverage will being on January 1, 2015
- If you enroll between December 16, 2014 and January 15, 2015, your coverage will begin February 1, 2015.
- If your enroll between January 16, 2015 and February 15, 2015, your coverage will begin March 1, 2015.
- Open enrollment for 2015 health insurance coverage closes on February 15, 2015. Be sure to visit the marketplace and enroll in a plan before this date.
- After February 15, 2015, you can get new private health insurance for 2015 only if you have a qualifying life event such as a job loss or divorce.
The Health Insurance Marketplace is just for people who need to buy private health insurance.
If you have insurance through Medicare, that coverage is independent of the marketplace. Medicare Open Enrollment occurs every year from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7.
Updated December 2014
You May Also Like
- Health care law resources
- 6 nutrient-packed fish you should be eating
- Encourage your children and family members to obtain health insurance. Send them a free e-card!
- More health information you can use
Visit the AARP home page every day for great deals and for tips on keeping healthy and sharp
Next ArticleRead This