Want to be more mentally alert? The right fruit and vegetable combinations can help you think more clearly—especially if those combos are raw, with their nutrients intact, says AARP health and fitness ambassador Martina Navratilova in this video.
- Add veggies to everything. For example, augment spaghetti sauce with green peppers, spinach, or zucchini, or throw chopped broccoli onto wild rice.
- Put crunch into your sandwiches with dark green lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.
- Keep raw vegetables on hand to eat as snacks or with meals. Serve them alone or with fat-free dips or hummus.
- Add at least one large salad to a daily meal. Use a variety of dark, leafy greens and a light olive oil dressing.
- Experiment with several raw food recipes each week.