- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
The Public Policy Institute’s Long-Term Care Team conducts research and policy analysis and brings together thought leaders to develop and advance AARP’s public policy agenda on long-term care issues.
Click below for reports on major long-term care topics. Use the PPI search box on the right for a more precise search.
PPI Long-Term Care Blog Series
- Setting the Pace for Identifying Family Caregiver Needs, by Lynn Friss Feinberg
- There’s No Place Like Home-But How Do You Define It?, by Don Redfoot
- All Eyes on the States, by Wendy Fox-Grage
- Modernizing Medicaid: Putting Home and Community-Based Services in Equal Footing with Nursing Homes by Don Redfoot
- The Growing Problem of Elder Abuse: A Discussion with Assistant Secretary Kathy Greenlee by Wendy Fox-Grage
- Giving Family Caregivers the Respect and Support They Deserve by Lynn Feinberg
- The Future Supply of Family Caregivers by Don Redfoot, Lynn Feinberg, and Ari Houser
- Home and Community-Based Services: The Right Place and the Right Time By Enid Kassner
- Medicare Does Not Pay for Long-Term Care By Harriet Komisar
- The Transition to Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports: How Is It Going? By Wendy Fox-Grage
- Do the Rich Benefit from Medicaid? By Don Redfoot
- Health Homes: Who Knew? By Wendy Fox-Grage
- Just How Valuable is Family Caregiving? By Ari Houser
- States Seize Opportunities to Improve Medicaid Long-Term Services and Supports by Wendy Fox-Grage
- The Time is Now for a National Strategy to Support Family Caregivers by Lynn Feinberg
- Private Long-Term Care Insurance: Tiny Vessel on a Turbulent Sea by Enid Kassner
- The Good News about Medicaid Costs and an Aging Population by Don Redfoot
- Supporting Family Caregivers with Leave Policies in the Workplace by Lynn Feinberg
- Medicaid: Program of Last Resort by Don Redfoot
- States Move to Coordinate Medicare, Medicaid by Wendy Fox-Grage
The number of workers with eldercare responsibilities is on the rise. This fact sheet highlights research to better understand the impact of family caregiving on work, and how working caregivers can better manage their work and caregiving responsibilities. read
Addressing the needs of racially and ethnically diverse family caregivers can help reduce unnecessary hospitalizations and nursing home care, and improve transitions between care settings. This report finds many needs not being met. read
This paper calls for developing public and private solutions to ensure that workers with eldercare responsibilities receive equal employment opportunity and are protected from workplace discrimination. read
Health care reform offers new, meaningful supports to assist family and friends in their caregiving role. This fact sheet highlights selected provisions in the Affordable Care Act that address caregivers in health care and in long-term services and supports. read
This report estimates the economic value of family caregiving at $450 billion in 2009, up from $375 billion in 2007. The report also details the costs of providing family care, and provides policy recommendations to better support caregiving. read
This AARP Public Policy Institute Fact Sheet by AARP’s Enid Kassner describes home and community-based long-term services and supports: what they are, who receives them, where they are delivered, and how people pay for them. read
Adult Protective Services help older people who are victims of abuse or neglect. AARP’s Wendy Fox-Grage tells us calls to Adult Protective Services have increased since the recession began, but most states have either decreased, or at best, maintained their budgets for these services. read
States cut programs for older individuals and adults with physical disabilities as demand rose for publicly funded services. This new AARP 50-state study shows 31 states cut non-Medicaid programs in FY 2010, and 28 states expecting to cut these programs in FY 2011. read
Discounts & Benefits
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members enjoy special savings on rental cars from PaylessCar.com.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 10% on auto repairs, up to $50, at RepairPal Certified Shops.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today