Answer the following questions about your home. If you find problems, these solutions can help.
1) Are the sink, bathtub and shower faucets easy to use?
If the answer is no: Install lever handles on sink, bathtub and shower faucets.
2) Are the floor surfaces slippery?
If the answer is yes: Use non-skid mats or non-slip strips on bathtub and shower floors. To prevent tripping or slipping on bathroom rugs or mats, use only rubber-backed floor coverings that stay firmly in place, or secure them with double-sided rug tape or rubber carpet mesh.
3) Are there grab bars in the bathtub/shower and toilet areas?
If the answer is no: Install grab bars in the bathtub, shower and toilet areas.
4) Is a low toilet seat making it hard to stand up?
If the answer is yes: Install a toilet seat extender or consider purchasing a toilet with a higher seat.
5) Are there exposed hot water pipes beneath the sink?
If the answer is yes: Insulate the hot water pipes berneath the sink.
6) Do you have a handheld or adjustable-height shower head?
If the answer is no: Install a handheld or adjustable showerhead.
7) Does the bathtub or shower have a bath seat?
If the answer is no: Install a bath seat or bench in the tub or shower.
8) Is the hot water heater set at 120°?
If the answer is no: Set the water heater to 120° to avoid scalding.
9) Is there good lighting?
If the answer is no: Install the highest wattage bulb that's allowed for the fixture. Install a night- light and/or replace the light switch with an illuminated switch that can be seen in the dark.
10) Are small electrical appliances (including hairdryers, curling irons, shavers) plugged in when not in use?
If the answer is yes: Unplug all electrical appliances when not in use, and never use electrical appliances near a filled sink or bathtub.
You may also like: How to hire a contractor. >>
Next ArticleRead This