Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month & Get Up to 20% Off Membership
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- An ally on issues that matter most to you
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
1. Anyone who has Medicare Part A or Part B (or both) can get Part D coverage regardless of income or health.
2. You are not obligated to enroll, but there may be consequences (such as permanent late penalties and delayed coverage) if you don't sign up when you are first eligible to do so.
3. To get Medicare drug coverage, you must select one approved private drug plan among many offering different choices. There is no single government plan.
4. Is your income limited? If you qualify for a part of the program known as "Extra Help." you'll pay very little for your medications.
5. Are your drug costs very high? You'll pay no more than 5 percent of the cost of each prescription after you've spent a certain amount of money out-of-pocket in any one year.
6. Do you have better drug coverage already? You probably won't need Medicare's Part D coverage. But it's wise to check.
En español l Medicare has an optional program — called Medicare Part D — that provides insurance to help you pay for prescription drugs. If you select to have the coverage, you pay a monthly premium. This guide explains how the program works and helps you make decisions in choosing a plan that's right for you.
If you can't find the Part D answer you're looking for in this guide, you can check the Ask Ms. Medicare archives or email your query to email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, age, state and ZIP code. Your name will not be published.
Patricia Barry | Ask Ms. Medicare
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can earn 50 points per $1 spent on select health & wellness products at Walgreens.
Members save 15% on easy listening devices and more at the HearUSA Hearing Shop.
Members save up to 60% on eye exams and 30% on glasses at Target Optical.
Brain boost? Get AARP email for access to memory exercises & more that help you focus.
Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.
Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.