Alert
Close

Join us at AARP's 2015 Life@50+ National Event and Expo in sunny Miami.  Learn more

New Thinking About Monogamy

How to handle questions of exclusivity in a new or long-time relationship

The Monogamy Talk Relationships

For many in heterosexual relationships it is presumed that monogamy will reign supreme. — Getty Images

En español | In any new relationship, and in many older ones, there comes a time when monogamy is discussed. Or at least there should come a time. However, for many in heterosexual relationships it is presumed that monogamy will reign supreme.

Gay men know better. When they fall in love, the "monogamy talk" is rarely far behind: "What do we expect from each other? Will we be monogamous? If not, what rules shall we set?" Many gay men agree to have an "open" relationship, meaning sex outside the union is fine so long as certain guidelines are followed — for example, no sex with an outsider more than once, or no unsafe sex. Other gay couples decide in advance to forgive the occasional sexual experience elsewhere, a practice that advice columnist Dan Savage calls "being monogamish."

Younger couples are discussing this topic in ways that are making marital monogamy less monolithic than it has been in the past. Some couples practice a "5 percent solution," meaning "I'm content to be in 95 percent of your life — feel free to keep the other 5 percent private." Others have told me that, being highly sexed people, they can both imagine an indiscretion happening to either one of them at some point — which they would hate, but forgive. A few expect to incorporate other lovers in their lives over the span of the marriage.

Doubtless these "hall passes" will strike many older couples as outrageous or unethical, but the fact of the matter is that not every long-running marriage observes monogamy. A study conducted by the National Opinion Research Center in 2010, for example, indicated that 1 in 5 married or previously married people had been nonmonogamous. Research by AARP has likewise revealed high levels of "strayability": In a 2009 survey, 21 percent of male respondents and 11 percent of female respondents reported they'd had sex outside the relationship. And 1 in 8 in a current committed relationship or marriage reported having a sex partner outside that union at the time of the survey.

My guess: Very few couples who experienced infidelity had ever talked about what would happen if they did. Granted, some may have had an ulterior motive — it's not unknown for a member of an unhappy marriage to employ faithlessness as an exit strategy. But most episodes, I suspect, were acts of love, lust or simply opportunity seized.

'We need to talk about the relation slip'

Is it smart for a couple to discuss "monogamy maintenance?" Advice columnist Savage feels that marriages are stronger when both partners acknowledge the power of temptation and agree on how to handle it. He uses gay men as a model, but not every scholar believes that message applies automatically to heterosexual relationships. Stephanie Coontz, for example, the author of Marriage: A History, sees women as unlikely to want that much sexual freedom in a marriage.

Psychotherapist Esther Perel, by contrast, views monogamy as "unnatural" for both men and women. The author of Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence stops short of advocating free love, but Perel says we should be less scandalized, and more forgiving, when trespasses occur.

If you doubt the wisdom of having "the monogamy talk" with your significant other, consider this: Isn't it about time the two of you learned each other's values and sexual philosophy?

Next page: How to bring up the subject with your partner. »

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts

Processing

Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

1-800flowers.com (1-800flowers.com)

Members save 20% or $20 on purchases of $79.99  from
Fruitbouquets.com.

Collette Vacations

Members save up to $200 per couple on select tours with Collette Vacations.

Live Nation

Members save 25% or more when buying tickets in groups of four from Ticketmaster.

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points