BACK TO WORK 50+ is connecting employers and training providers with unemployed or underemployed workers age 50 and over to create a pipeline of trained, prescreened, qualified workers.
Even in this tough economy, employers in growth industries sometimes struggle to find qualified applicants to fill job vacancies. American industry increasingly needs workers with higher skill levels and credentials, yet the number of workers with two-year degrees and vocational certificates continues to fall short of predicted needs.
At the same time, more than 3 million workers age 50-plus are looking for full-time employment. Mature workers bring assets to the workplace that employers need, such as a strong work ethic, reliability, good judgment, and strong interpersonal and communication skills. A multigenerational workforce brings value to employers and employees alike.
What's in it for employers?
In 2012, AARP Foundation launched a sector-focused, employer-driven collaboration called BACK TO WORK 50+. By bringing together employers and other stakeholders, we can focus on workforce needs in specific industries and build a plan that prepares job candidates for high-demand jobs. Our approach does the following:
- Meet the workforce needs of local employers by focusing on a specific set of difficult-to-fill and in-demand job titles
- Listen to the workforce needs of local employers and use their input to guide the information and coaching we provide to 50-plus hourly wage job candidates
- Meets the employment needs of local workers by reducing barriers to employment and provides access to skill building opportunities
- Strengthens the region's overall economic vitality and promotes systemic change
Overview of BACK TO WORK 50+ services for job candidates
Job candidates age 50-plus are able to:
- Call toll-free to register for a local information session and receive a listing of local job search services in their market
- Attend an Information Session to obtain information on local jobs, training requirements and employer expectations
- Join the BACK TO WORK 50+ Coaching Program for job search coaching and guidance on applying for necessary job training
- Receive information on job search resources, including AARP Foundation's 7 Smart Strategies for 50+ Jobseekers guide
BACK TO WORK 50+
AARP Foundation is partnering with workforce services providers to strengthen the bridge between 50+ job candidates and respected employers. BACK TO WORK 50+ is currently being administered in Denver, CO by Arapahoe Douglas Works! and in Charleston, WV by AARP Foundation. Additional communities will be added in 2014.
- Denver Metro Area, CO
- Charleston, WV
- AARP Foundation WV