Industry: Hospitals/Health Care Location: Cincinnati Website: www.trihealth.com
Winning Years: 2013, 2011, 2009, 2008
Highlights of 2013 Winning Strategies
TriHealth offers an Employee Diabetes Management Program that provides free medication and monitoring equipment as well as diabetes coaches to employees living with this chronic condition. TriHealth retirees and employees age 50-plus can become members of the Seniority Program. The free program provides employees with exclusive classes and one-on-one counseling on topics such as Medicare and long-term care insurance, valuable discounts, educational programs, lectures and classes, sponsored entertainment events, and social outings.
Additional Policies and Practices
- Workplace Culture/Continued Opportunities: TriHealth employees working eight-plus hours per week are eligible for tuition reimbursement, certification classes and reimbursement of their professional membership dues. In-house classroom training and on-line training are offered to all employees. During a recent 12-month period, 98 percent of employees participated in at least one of the training opportunities with an average of 15 hours spent in training. Long-service anniversaries are celebrated with announcements, gifts and parties. In response to employee opinion survey requests, a 401(k) plan with employer match was implemented; premiums on long-term disability, dental plans and life insurance rates were reduced; a voluntary vision plan was implemented; a healthy living medical plan premium discount was introduced; the lifetime maximum on the medical insurance plan was removed; and a partnership with RetireMed was provided so employees have assistance with enrollment for Medicare plans. Employees have opportunities to gain new experiences by working on temporary assignments in other departments, on team projects, and by having access to formal job rotation and mentoring programs.
- Benefits/Health: Employees working 16-plus hours per week receive individual and family medical coverage, individual and family prescription drug coverage, individual and family vision and dental insurance, and long-term disability. Flexible spending accounts (FSAs) and a health spending account (HSAs) with employer contribution are offered to assist with out-of-pocket health care costs. In addition, TriHealth employees participating in the Wellness Program receive discounts on their medical plan premiums. Wellness benefits offered to full- and part-time employees include flu shots, health screenings, health risk appraisals, smoking cessation programs, health club discounts, on-site fitness centers, health coaches, physical activity and weight loss programs, and stress management training. Ninety-five percent of TriHealth employees utilized at least one of these wellness-related benefits in a recent 12-month period. EAP services are available to full-time employees as well as their family members.
- Benefits/Financial: Full- and part-time employees working 20-plus hours per week are offered 401(k) and 403(b) plans with employer match and a cash-balance or other hybrid plan. All new hires are automatically enrolled in the plans, employees age 50-plus can make catch-up contributions to their plan and may choose to invest in lifecycle funds that automatically reallocate assets based on age or proximity to retirement. Staff members and staff from the financial services firm that administers the plans provide financial planning information and training to employees. Retirement seminars are held three times per year for employees and their spouses and provide information on retirement plans, Medicare and Social Security. Employees are offered short- and long-term leaves of absence without pay for caregiving needs. The Employee Emergency Fund provides financial assistance to employees in need. TriHealth employees are offered on-site child care, referral services to assist with child care, grandchild care and eldercare, and backup care for child care.
- Benefits/Alternative Work Arrangements: Flextime, compressed work schedules, job sharing and telecommuting are alternative work arrangements offered to all employees. Full-time employees are eligible to move to part-time work on a permanent or temporary basis.
- Opportunities for Retirees: TriHealth has 1,470 retirees and an individual directly responsible for retiree relations. The health system stays connected with its retirees by communicating on a regular basis, inviting retirees to organization events, providing retirees with ongoing access to retirement planning workshops and information, and by formally acknowledging employees upon their retirement. The following work arrangements are offered to retirees: temporary work assignments, consulting or contract work, telecommuting, and full- and part-time work.
- Age of Workforce: Forty percent of TriHealth employees are age 50-plus. The average tenure of employees age 50-plus is 15.8 years.
Also of Interest: More AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50
Next ArticleRead This