Industry: Insurance Location: Sarasota, Fla. Website: www.fcci-group.com
Winning Years: 2013, 2011, 2009
Highlights of 2013 Winning Strategies
FCCI Insurance Group provides for the health and wellness of its employees. Numerous benefits and programs are offered to full- and part-time employees including flu shots, health screenings, health risk appraisals, smoking cessation programs, health club discounts, physical activity and weight loss programs, and stress management training. Lunch-and-learn sessions on diabetes, cancer prevention, nutritional cooking and Spanish are also offered. Eighty-six percent of the company’s employees utilized at least one of these wellness-related benefits during a recent 12-month period. Employees who participate in preventive exams may qualify for a reduction on their monthly health insurance premium.
Additional Policies and Practices
- Recruiting: FCCI Insurance uses senior placement agencies to target mature workers and retirees.
- Workplace Culture/Continued Opportunities: Learning and development programs such as tuition reimbursement, in-house classroom training, online training, certification classes and reimbursement for professional membership dues are offered to all employees. In a recent 12-month period, 100 percent of employees participated in at least one of the training opportunities with an average of 40 hours spent in training. Long-service anniversaries are celebrated with announcements, parties, monetary gifts based on years of service and awards. Employees have opportunities to gain new experiences by working on temporary assignments in other departments, on team projects and by having access to mentors. Employees with special needs are given accommodations such as allowing an employee who uses a wheelchair the option to work permanently from home, providing an employee with vision impairment a larger computer monitor, and purchasing ergonomic keyboards and wrist pads.
- Benefits/Health: Employees working 30-plus hours per week receive individual and family medical coverage, individual and family prescription drug coverage, individual and family vision and dental insurance, and short- and long-term disability. Employees working 25-plus hours per week receive individual and family long-term care insurance. Flexible spending accounts (FSAs) and Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs) are available to assist in covering out-of-pocket health care costs. Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services are available to full- and part-time employees as well as their family members.
- Benefits/Financial: FCCI Insurance employees are offered a 401(k) plan with employer match, as well as a profit-sharing plan. Employees age 50-plus can make catch-up contributions to their plan and plan participants may choose to invest in lifecycle funds that automatically reallocate assets based on age or proximity to retirement. Employees are offered financial education from the staff of the financial services firm that administers their 401(k) and from external financial planning experts. Free financial planning is offered to employees age 55-plus. Short- and long-term leaves of absence without pay are offered to allow for caregiving. Referral services to assist with child care and eldercare are available to employees working 30-plus hours per week.
- Benefits/Alternative Work Arrangements: The following alternative work arrangements are offered to employees: flextime, compressed work schedules and telecommuting. Full-time employees are eligible to move to part-time work on a permanent or temporary basis.
- Opportunities for Retirees: FCCI Insurance has 43 retirees. The company stays connected with its retirees by communicating on a regular basis, inviting retirees to organization events, providing retirees with ongoing access to retirement planning workshops and information, and by formally acknowledging employees upon their retirement. Retirees may be offered temporary work assignments, as well as full- and part-time work.
- Age of Workforce: Forty-four percent of FCCI employees are age 50-plus. The average tenure of employees age 50-plus is 11.5 years.
Also of Interest: More AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50