Industry: Hotels/Lodging Places Location: Doylestown, Pa. Website: www.cheapcarribean.com
Winning Years: 2013
Highlights of 2013 Winning Strategies
CheapCaribbean.com demonstrates that it values its employees’ health and wellness. Wellness programs offered to all employees include flu shots, health screenings, health risk appraisals, smoking cessation programs, health club discounts, physical activity and weight loss programs, blood pressure management, flu clinic, massages and cancer screenings, as well as stress management training. Thirty percent of the company’s employees utilized at least one of these wellness programs during a recent 12-month period. The company has also implemented a mentoring program so valuable knowledge can be shared among a multigenerational workforce.
Additional Policies and Practices
- Recruiting: CheapCaribbean.com uses senior placement agencies to target mature workers and retirees.
- Workplace Culture/Continued Opportunities: Learning and development opportunities offered to employees working 20-plus hours per week include reimbursement for professional membership dues, in-house classroom training, certification classes and online training. In a recent 12-month period, 90 percent of employees participated in at least one of the training opportunities with an average of three hours spent in training. Long-service anniversaries are celebrated with announcements, parties and awards. Due to results gathered from employee opinion surveys, flexible work arrangements such as working part time, work from home and flexible schedules have been approved, the company’s flex spending and insurance program benefits have been increased, and education on retirement income and health-care issues are offered. Employees have opportunities to gain new experiences by working on temporary assignments in other departments, on team projects, and by having access to formal job rotation and mentoring programs.
- Benefits/Health: Employees working 25-plus hours per week receive individual and family medical coverage, individual and family prescription drug coverage, individual and family vision and dental insurance, and short- and long-term disability. Employee and family long-term care insurance is offered to all employees. Health benefits for retirees pre-65 include individual long-term care insurance and the services of an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), as well as individual and spouse life insurance or other death benefit coverage. Health benefits for retirees age 65-plus include EAP services, as well as individual and spouse life insurance or other death benefit coverage. New hires are eligible for all of the above benefits upon retirement. Flexible spending accounts (FSAs) are available to assist in covering out-of-pocket health care costs. EAP services are available to full- and part-time employees as well as their family members.
- Benefits/Financial: A 401(k) plan with employer match is offered to employees working 25-plus hours per week. All new hires are automatically enrolled in the 401(k) plan. Employees may choose to invest in lifecycle funds that automatically reallocate assets based on an employee’s age or proximity to retirement, and employees age 50-plus can make catch-up contributions to their plan. Staff members, staff from the financial services firm that administers the 401(k), and external financial planning experts provide financial planning information and training to employees. Short- and long-term leaves of absence without pay, as well as paid time off are options offered to employees needing time off for caregiving. Dependent care services offered to employees include referral services and backup care to assist with child care, grandchild care and eldercare.
- Benefits/Alternative Work Arrangements: Flextime is offered to employees working 25-plus hours per week, telecommuting is offered to employees working 30-plus hours per week and job sharing is offered to employees working 20-plus hours per week. Full-time employees are eligible to move to part-time work on a permanent or temporary basis.
- Opportunities for Retirees: CheapCaribbean.com has two retirees and an individual directly responsible for retiree relations. The company stays connected with its retirees by communicating on a regular basis with its retirees, inviting retirees to organization events, and by providing retirees with ongoing access to retirement planning workshops and information. Work arrangements offered to retirees include: temporary work assignments, consulting or contract work, telecommuting, and full- and part-time work.
- Age of Workforce: Thirty-five percent of CheapCaribbean.com employees are age 50-plus. The average tenure of employees age 50-plus is five years.
Also of Interest: More AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50