Skip to content

Credit freezes are free under a federal law that just went into effect. Learn how to protect your credit.


Can I transfer work credits from a foreign country's Social Security agency to my work record in the U.S. if I worked abroad?

En español | Possibly, depending on which country you worked in. The United States has agreements with more than 20 countries to address the special requirements of people like you. The agreements help you qualify by letting you pool your credits from both countries. The agreements may also eliminate the need for workers to pay payroll taxes to both countries on the same wages — they pay to just one system. When you're ready to apply, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and ask what precise documentation you'll need. It will include such things as your U.S. and other country's Social Security numbers and proof of age.

Submit a Question to AARP Experts

Didn’t see the answer to your question? Help us improve the tool by submitting your Social Security question. Go

Join the Discussion

0 |

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.