Skip to content

Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz


Who is responsible for handling Social Security benefits paid to a minor?

En español | If a beneficiary is incapable of managing money that comes from Social Security, that task usually goes to a relative known as a representative payee. This person must use the funds for the beneficiary's needs, such as payment for food, shelter, clothes, medical care and personal items. If the representative payee is found to be diverting the money to other purposes, SSA may designate a new payee and take action to recover the misused money.

Submit a Question to AARP Experts

Didn’t see the answer to your question? Help us improve the tool by submitting your Social Security question. Go

Next Article

Read This