Skip to content

What's a 'skimmer scam?' Find out on AARP Live. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.


Can I receive my Social Security checks if I live abroad in a foreign country, outside the United States?

En español |  Social Security will send checks to retirees in most foreign countries, with certain exceptions.  U.S. Department of the Treasury regulations prohibit sending payments to you if you are in Cuba or North Korea.  If you are a U.S. citizen in either of those countries, you can receive your withheld payments once you leave that country; if you are not a citizen, those payments are forfeited.  Social Security restrictions also prohibit sending payments to people in Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.  Generally, you cannot receive payments while you are in one of these countries, and the Social Security Administration cannot send your payments to anyone for you.  Otherwise, U.S. citizens can receive benefits abroad as long as they're eligible. The rules for beneficiaries who are foreign citizens are different, and complex.  In some cases, payments will be cut off if the person remains outside the United States for more than six months.  For more information, read "Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States."

Submit a Question to AARP Experts

Didn’t see the answer to your question? Help us improve the tool by submitting your Social Security question. Go

Join the Discussion

0 |

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.