Caregiving, COVID-19, and the Workplace
Free resources available for employers and the working family caregivers in their organization during the COVID-19 pandemic. Tip Sheets include employer-specific COVID-19 fact sheets, preparedness checklists for family caregivers, and other timely resources.
Tip Sheets for Employers:
- COVID-19 Caregiving Resources
- How to Support Employees Who Are Caring for Others During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Tip Sheets Employers can Distribute to Working Family Caregivers (Available in English and Spanish):
- Financial Tips for Caregivers During COVID-19 (English)
- Financial Tips for Caregivers During COVID-19 (Spanish)
- Legal Tips for Caregivers During COVID-19 (English)
- Legal Tips for Caregivers During COVID-19 (Spanish)
- Caregiver Questions About Using Telehealth During COVID-19 (English)
- Caregiver Questions About Using Telehealth During COVID-19 (Spanish)
- Preparedness for Caregivers During COVID-19 (English)
- Preparedness for Caregivers During COVID-19 (Spanish)
- Using Telehealth During COVID-19 (English)
- Using Telehealth During COVID-19 (Spanish)
- Caregiver Concerns about In-Home Care during COVID-19
- The Six M’s for Caregiver Self-Care During the Coronavirus Outbreak (English)
- The Six M’s for Caregiver Self-Care During the Coronavirus Outbreak (Spanish)
- Supporting Military, Veteran, & Family Caregivers in a Pandemic
Nursing Homes/LTC Facilities:
- Is Your Loved One in a Nursing Home? 6 Questions to Ask (English)
- Is Your Loved One in a Nursing Home? 6 Questions to Ask (Spanish)
- Staying in Touch with Loved Ones in Nursing Homes and LTC Facilities (English)
- Parkinson’s Disease Care Partner Guide: When Your Loved One is in a Senior Living Facility
- Should You Take a Loved One Out of a Nursing Home During the Pandemic (Single Sided)
- Should You Take a Loved One Out of a Nursing Home During the Pandemic (Double Sided)
- 7 Questions to Ask Assisted Living Facilities During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Tips for Families of Persons Living with Dementia in Residential Care Communities
- 5 Questions to Ask About Visiting Nursing Homes
Reimagining Long-Term Care in America
A Webinar from AARP and Mary Furlong & Associates
Wednesday, June 3, 2020, at 3 pm ET
- Mary Furlong, CEO of Mary Furlong & Associates and Executive Producer of the What’s Next Longevity Academy
- Nancy LeaMond, Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy & Engagement Officer, AARP
- Bob Stephen, Vice President, Caregiving and Health, AARP
With guest appearances by:
- Mary Haynes, President and CEO of Nazareth Home
- Sherwin Sheik, President and CEO of Carelinx
Free Toolkits for Employers
AARP has partnered with the Northeast Business Group on Health to craft a free toolkit for employers. Supporting Caregivers in the Workplace: A Practical Guide for Employers includes comprehensive information, checklists and handouts for employers to share across their company or organization. Click here to access the pdf, and/or here to:
- Assess where you are vs. other organizations
- Review our practical guide
- Watch and share the supporting videos to hear the perspectives of both employers and employee-caregivers that provide insight into the issue
AARP and Public Private Strategies Small Business Caregiving Online Resource Guide provides small business owners with practical guidance to tackle common challenges and create workplaces that are supportive of caregivers. Additionally, it provides information on the current family caregiver situation in America and shares the small business case for caregiver-friendly workplaces.
- Provides practical guidance, tips, and resources that small employers can utilize to make their workplace more caregiver-friendly
- Offers low cost or no cost solutions small business owners can leverage
AARP has partnered with the Elizabeth Dole Foundation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes program to develop a new employer toolkit. Supporting Military and Veteran Caregivers in the Workplace provides free practical guidance to employers on how to support working family military caregivers in the workplace. Click here to access the pdf.
- Identifies key challenges working family caregivers of military service members face
- Identifies challenges employers face when accommodating employees who are family caregivers
- Tipsheet offers recruitment, onboarding and retention strategies for employers
On-Demand Prepare to Care for Working Family Caregivers
With more and more Americans caring for a loved one, while currently working full or part-time, employers have a growing need and responsibility to help support and retain working family caregivers. AARP is offering this free on-demand workshop on caregiving to arm employers and working family caregivers with needed guidance and support. During this session, you will be provided with tips and advice, as well as learn about the free resources available to make the job of caring for a loved one more manageable.
Additional Programs and Resources
Schedule a Lunch and Learn — Connect with experienced subject matter experts and members of the caregiving team who will provide important learning material in a web-based training environment, help you navigate available resources and discuss frequently asked questions about caregiving and work. Contact AskCaregiving@aarp.org for more information.
Request a Speaker — If you’d like AARP to present on topics related to working family caregivers, take advantage of our free tools and resources, or discuss strategies in which you as the employer or Human Resource professional can support working family caregivers while offering a competitive advantage to retain and remain competitive in today’s workforce, email AskCaregiving@aarp.org to request.
Play the Do You Care Challenge — Experience a day in the life of someone who is caring for a loved one and balancing everyday life. You will walk away with an understanding of the joys and challenges of family caregiving and then be better prepared to offer support to a friend, family member or colleague who is caring for a loved one.
Download or Order Copies of Prepare to Care: A Caregiving Planning Guide for Families — These guides are available in English, Spanish and Chinese. There are also versions for Asian Americans, LGBT and Veteran and Military families. Share them with your employees.
Worth a Read
- Supporting Working Caregivers: Case Studies of Promising Practices — a collection of 14 case studies from the for-profit and non-profit worlds, large and small, highlighting promising practices employers are using to support their working family caregivers.
- Breaking New Ground: Supporting Employed Family Caregivers with Workplace Leave Policies — recent report from the AARP Public Policy Institute shows the value of paid family leave as a “caregiver friendly” policy
- Determining the Return on Investment: Supportive Policies for Employee Caregivers — this report by AARP and Respect a Caregiver’s Time (ReACT) finds that businesses offering flextime and telecommuting schedules saw a ROI between $1.70-$4.45 for every dollar invested in these policies.
- Caregiving While Working — advice and perspective for the working caregiver