Some email services automatically include your full name as well as your email alias to everyone you send email to. If this isn't what you want, you'll need to find out if this is happening. Send yourself an email and look at who it's from. If your name appears there, take steps to remove this information.
Think about it. Your last name and an online directory search may be all it takes to find your family and phone number, learn the value of your home, and more.
Check your email provider's help topics to get steps for this procedure. To hide your real name in Windows Live Hotmail, follow these steps:
- At the top right side of the page, click Options.
- Click More Options at the bottom of the list. Note: If you're using the classic version of Windows Live Hotmail, you're automatically redirected to the Options page after clicking the Options button.
- In the resulting Options windows under the Manage Your Account section, click the View and Edit Your Personal Information link.
- Click Profile Details on the left side of the resulting dialog box.
- Click the Edit link on the left side of the Details screen.
- In the resulting window, unselect the checkbox labeled Allow Everyone to See My Last Name. Unless you specifically want to be identified in your email alias, pick a name that doesn't expose your identity — or leave it blank. You can use any alphanumeric character (A–Z; 0–9) and any of the special characters on your keyboard, except for :, <, >, ;, (, ), “, $, and !.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page to save your changes.