- About 3 million spouses, former spouses and dependent children of retirees.
- Nearly 6 million widows and widowers, former spouses, children and (occasionally) parents of wage earners who have died.
- Disabled persons of all ages and their spouses and children. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) goes to some 8.6 million disabled workers and 1.7 million members of their families.
Here are a few key Social Security stats as of mid-2018:
- About 67 million people are drawing retirement, disability, family or survivor benefits from Social Security, totaling more than $81 billion a month.
- 4.9 percent of those beneficiaries are children. Social Security pays more benefits to children than any other program of the federal government.
- Nearly 10.4 million people are receiving Supplementary Security Income (SSI), cash assistance to low-income people who are over 65, blind or disabled. SSI is administered but not paid for by the Social Security Administration.