Skip to content

If my government pension is suspended or reduced, will my Social Security benefits increase?

En español | The answer to this question depends on what type of Social Security benefit you are receiving, and whether the pension is from "non-covered" government employment in which you did not pay into Social Security.

If you are collecting a Social Security retirement benefit based on your own earnings in "covered" work, your payments may be reduced by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). Benefit reduction from the WEP is calculated as of the first month you are entitled to both Social Security and your non-covered pension. Subsequent changes in the pension amount generally do not affect the Social Security benefit. However, if your government pension ceases and you are no longer entitled to it, Social Security may be able to increase your benefit.

If a person with a pension is receiving a spousal or survivor benefit, payments are reduced by the Government Pension Offset (GPO). The GPO reduces benefits by two-thirds of the amount of the government pension, so if the pension payment is reduced, the Social Security benefit can go up. Contact the Social Security Administration to get estimates of the benefit impact

Published October 10, 2018

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.