Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Leaving AARP.org Website

You are now leaving AARP.org and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

2015 AARP Hawaii Caregiving: The Caregiver Advise, Record, Enable (CARE) Act

This caregiving study was commissioned by AARP Hawai'i to gather insight into caregiving experiences of registered voters age 45-plus.  Respondents overwhelmingly support the provisions of the CARE Act.

Key findings include:

• More than 80 percent of Hawai’i registered voters age 45-plus support measures in The Caregiver Advise, Record and Enable (CARE) Act.

• Nearly three-quarters of current and former caregivers (72%) say that at some point their loved one was admitted to the hospital.

• Nearly all (96%) say it would be important for them to get instructions if their loved one was being discharged from the hospital. 

• About 30% of caregivers that had a loved one hospitalized say they did not receive instruction or a demonstration of medical tasks that they would need to perform.

• More than 70 percent of current or former caregivers assisted with complex care like medication management (74%) and other medical tasks (71%).

This report highlights results from registered voters interviewed between September 28 and October 8, 2015. The data was weighted to reflect registered voters in Hawai’i age 45-plus.  For more information contact Cassandra Burton at CCantave@aarp.org.