Skip to content

Directory of Services in Wyoming

Below you will find a list of government and non-profit resources available to grandparent and kinship caregivers in Wyoming. Private options were too numerous to include. Links are provided to access many of the agency or program Web sites.

Legal Services

Wyoming State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service is a free service that provides the names of Wyoming attorneys who can help with a particular kind of legal matter. You also will find information on the Wyoming Volunteer Lawyers Program, which helps people who cannot afford to hire an attorney.

Legal Aid of Wyoming is a non-profit law firm providing legal assistance to low-income residents of Wyoming. Phone: 1-877-432-9955

CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) trains community volunteers to serve in Juvenile District Court as advocates for children (0-17 years) who are the victims of abuse or neglect. Grandparents caring for such children may contact their local CASA office for assistance with navigating the system. Senior citizens are encouraged to contact their local CASA office to become a volunteer and be a "powerful voice in a child’s life."

Information & Support Services

Wyoming Department of Family Services helps family members access information and apply for services, including financial assistance, Medicaid, child and kinship care and SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as food stamps) through offices located throughout the state.

Wyoming Department of Health provides a wide range of support services to Wyoming residents. Here is an outline of just a few resources they offer that might be of assistance to you. The Community and Family Health Division operates public health nursing offices in all of Wyoming’s 23 counties, providing a variety of services, including health and dental care, immunizations, parenting classes and support for developmental disabilities. KidCare CHIP makes medical and dental care affordable for children of eligible families. The National Family Caregiver Support Program assists grandparents raising grandkids with services like respite care, support groups, training and counseling. A client must be 60 years of age or older if caring for a child, or a family member caring for a qualified care receiver older than 60. The Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division provides online resources and information about counseling and therapeutic services available in Wyoming.

Wyoming Kinship Advocacy provides support group services and assistance with obtaining birth certificates and Social Security cards for children, contacting law enforcement agencies, prison systems and limited legal assistance. A staff member will assist clients in filling out paperwork necessary for obtaining child support, POWER and temporary guardianship, and refers clients to community agencies that assist in paying light and gas bills, emergency assistance for car repairs, rental deposits, low income housing, and senior housing etc.

Children and Nutrition Services, Inc. is a non-profit Wyoming agency that provides, promotes and supports programs and activities that improve the well-being of young children.

Wyoming Senior Citizens, Inc. provides information, counseling and referral services about respite care, Wyoming state health insurance, and employment programs for those 55 years and older.

Casey Family Programs provides links to research and other information relative to kinship care.

Benefits Check-up Finder helps you find programs for people ages 55 and over that may pay for some of their costs of prescription drugs, health care, utilities and other essential items or services by filling out a simple questionnaire.

If you have any suggestions of resources to be included in the resource bank, please contact AARP Wyoming by email.

Join the Discussion

0 %{widget}% | Add Yours

You must be logged in to leave a comment.