This 2001 mail survey addresses the concerns, interests, and priorities for state legislative issues of AARP Illinois members. Key findings include the following:
- The top concerns mentioned by Illinois members focus on financial security and health. Younger members report higher levels of concern about finding affordable, high-quality health insurance than older members, while older members show greater concern about avoiding consumer fraud and having adequate Medicare information.
- Members look to AARP for information on independent living and entitlement programs.
- The top legislative concerns of Illinois members are health care issues and independent living.
- The majority of Illinois members say that prescription drug assistance, respite care, and home health services are very important in enabling older adults to remain in their homes.
- Half of respondents say they have not been immunized against pneumonia, and about one-third do not get their flu immunizations each year.
- One in five (21%) do not have either prescription drug coverage through an insurance policy or a program that helps to pay for prescriptions.
A sample of 2,000 AARP members in Illinois received a mail survey in June-July 2001; 975 (49%) returned surveys by the cut-off date. For more information, contact Rachelle Cummins at 202-434-6297. (48 pages)