AARP's Voters Guide, in which the two principal candidates for governor of Texas – Gov. Rick Perry (R) and former Houston Mayor Bill White (D) – answer key questions dealing with health care, financial services and electricity are now available online. Hard copies may be obtained by calling 866-227-7443.
“We’re thankful to both candidates for thoughtfully sharing their insights with us on these issues,” said AARP Texas State Director Bob Jackson. “The better informed the public is on these matters, the better off Texans will be.”
Each candidate was allowed up to 125 words to answer each question and was invited to check boxes indicating their support or opposition for an issue or position. AARP did not edit or modify the candidates’ answers. AARP also stated its own position for each of the questions asked.
The questions included:
- What steps will you take to lower homeowners insurance rates in Texas?
- What steps will you take to lower electricity rates in deregulated areas of the state?
- How would you ensure that consumers of small dollar loans are adequately protected from usurious rates?
- How would you help to ensure that seniors can access long term services and supports in the setting of their choice?
- How would you protect critical Medicaid long term care programs from any reductions in current funding levels or from changes that would reduce the number of individuals that qualify for services?
A Spanish-language version of the gubernatorial Voters’ Guide will be made available soon.