Skip to content

Are You Prepared to Vote in Kansas?

During last year’s legislative session, Kansas lawmakers passed the Kansas Secure and Fair Elections (S.A.F.E.) Act which adds new voting requirements that Kansas voters need to be aware of starting this year.

See Also: Can We Still Vote?

Beginning in 2012, every person who votes in Kansas elections will be required to show photo identification when casting a vote in person. Those who request a ballot by mail must either write their driver’s license number on the application or send a copy of a photo ID to get a ballot.

Following is a list of valid photographic identification documents:

  • A driver’s license or nondriver’s identification card issued by Kansas or by another state or district of the United States
  • A concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or by another state or district of the United States
  • A United States passport
  • An employee badge or identification document issued by a municipal, county, state, or federal government office
  • A military identification document issued by the United States
  • A student identification card issued by an accredited post secondary institution of education in the state of Kansas
  • A public assistance identification card issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office

Certain individuals are exempt from photo ID requirements: If you are age 65 or older, you may use an expired photo ID document.

The photo ID requirements do not apply to military and overseas citizens who vote under the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

The photo ID requirements do not apply in mail ballot elections. Mail ballot elections are limited to local jurisdictions holding special question-submitted elections.

The photo ID requirements do not apply to voters who qualify, apply and are accepted to the permanent advance voting list, as long as they remain on the permanent advance voting list.

Any person whose religious beliefs prohibit photographic identification may be exempted from the photo ID requirement. Any such person must complete and sign a Declaration of Religious Objection (Form DRO).

Starting January 1, 2013, persons registering to vote for the first time in Kansas must prove U.S. citizenship when registering to vote.

Find information on Advance Voters Identification requirements and on how to obtain a free photographic identification card.

If you have difficulty meeting the requirements of this new legislation, we’d like to hear from you. Please contact the AARP Kansas State Office at 1-866-448-3619 or via email

Join the Discussion

0 %{widget}% | Add Yours

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

AARP In Your State

Visit the AARP state page for information about events, news and resources near you.