God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannotchange; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know thedifference.
Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; acceptinghardships as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinfulworld as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will makeall things right if I surrender to His will; that I may be reasonablyhappy in this life and supremely happy. with Him Forever in thenext. Amen.
— Reinhold Niebuhr
- Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. I have sworn, and have confirmed it, to observe Thy righteous ordinances. I am afflicted very much; quicken me, O HaShem, according unto Thy word. Accept, I beseech Thee, the freewill-offerings of my mouth, O HaShem, and teach me Thine ordinances. My soul is continually in my hand; yet have I not forgotten Thy law. The wicked have laid a snare for me; yet went I not astray from Thy precepts. Thy testimonies have I taken as a heritage for ever; for they are the rejoicing of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform Thy statutes, for ever, at every step.— Psalms 119: 105-112
- O God, perfect us in love, that we may conquer all selfishness and hatred of others; fill our hearts with Thy joy, and shed abroad in them Thy peace which passeth understanding; that so those murmurings and disputings to which we are too prone may be overcome. Make us long-suffering and gentle, and thus subdue our hastiness and angry tempers, and grant that we may bring forth the blessed fruits of the Spirit, to Thy praise and glory, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. — Rev. Henry Alford
- Be mindful, O Lord, of those who travel by land, by sea, and by air; of the old and young, the sick, the suffering, the sorrowing, the afflicted, the captives, the needy and the poor; and upon them all send forth Thy mercies, for Thou art the Giver of all good things. — Orthodox Christian Liturgy
- Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you. — Matthew 5:9; Luke 6:27-31
- God is our hope and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear, though the earth be moved, and though the hills be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof rage and swell, and though the mountains shake at the tempest of the same. There is a river, the streams whereof make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High. — Psalms 46: 1-4
- May we discover through pain and torment, the strength to live with grace and humor. May we discover through doubt and anguish, the strength to live with dignity and holiness. May we discover through suffering and fear, the strength to move toward healing. May it come to pass that we be restored to health and to vigor. May Life grant us wellness of body, spirit, and mind. And if this cannot be so, may we find in this transformation and passage moments of meaning, opportunities for love and the deep and gracious calm that comes when we allow ourselves to move on. — Rabbi Rami M. Shapiro
- Father, behold thy child; Creator, behold thy creature; Master, behold thy disciple; Saviour, behold thy redeemed one; Spirit, behold thy cleansed one; Comforter, behold one whom thou dost uphold; So I come to thee, O infinite and unimaginable, To worship thee. — Margaret Cropper
- Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. — Psalms 51: 9-12
- Govern everything by your wisdom, O Lord, so that my soul may always be serving you in the way you will and not as I choose. Let me die to myself so that I may serve you; let me live to you who are life itself. Amen. — St. Teresa of Avila
- Send me a resurrection when everything looks dead and buried. Send me light when the night seems too long. — Rev. Dr. Herbert Brokering
- O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace, help me in all things to rely upon your holy will. In every hour of the day reveal your will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that your will governs all. In all my deeds and words, guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by you. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray. And you, yourself, pray in me. Amen. — St. Philaret of Moscow
- Great Goddess, Empress Earth,
I pray you, help me to be fertile
I pray you, help me to be fruitful
I pray you, help me to conceive a healthy child
I ask this with all of my heart
I ask this with my body and soul
I ask this in the Lady's name
So be it! Blessed be! — Sirona Knight
- When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always. — Mahatma Gandhi
- The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. Bible — Numbers 6:24-26
- May the sun always shine on your windowpane; May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain; May the hand of a friend always be near you; May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you. — Irish Blessing
- O my great and good Creator, how much I owe to you. that in your mercy you raised me from nothing to make me what I am. What can I possibly do to bless your name or to thank you enough for your inestimable goodness? Yet, my Creator, instead of uniting myself to you by loving service, my inordinate desires have made me a rebel. I have cut myself off from you by preferring sin, dishonoring you as if you were not my Creator. O my God, with all my heart I offer you myself, as you have made me. I dedicate and consecrate myself to you. — St. Francis de Sales
- May the long time sun
Shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you
Guide your way on.
— Kundalini Yoga - Farewell Blessing
- I find you, Lord, in all things and in all
my fellow creatures, pulsing with your life;
as a tiny seed you sleep in what is small
and in the vast you vastly yield yourself.
-- Rainer Marie Rilke
- O Thou,
the Sustainer of
our bodies, hearts, and souls,
that we thankfully
Amen -- Nazr - mealtime blessing - Pir-o-Murshid Hazrat Inayat Khan
- Now when the bardo of dying dawns upon me,
I will abandon all grasping, yearning and attachment,
Enter undistracted into a clear awareness of the teaching,
And eject my consciousness into the space of unborn awareness;
As I leave this compound body of flesh and blood
I will know it to be a transitory illusion.
-- Tibetan Book of the Dead - Padmasambhava
- Oh great and powerful ocean,
I fear and respect your beauty.
I wish not to take away
nor leave anything behind.
I only wish to dance
with you for a short while.
-- A surfer's prayer
- Beloved Lord, Almighty God,
Through the rays of the sun,
Through the waves of the air,
Through the all pervading life in space;
purify and revivify us
And we pray, heal our bodies, hearts and souls.
Amen -- Nayaz - the healing prayer - pir-o-murshid inayat khan
- Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. The Bible -- Luke 6:37
- What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? Bible -- Romans 8:31
- O God!
Refresh and gladden my spirit.
Purify my heart.
Illumine my powers.
I lay all my affairs in Thy hands.
Thou art my Guide and my Refuge.
I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved;
I will be a happy and joyful being.
O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety,
nor will I let trouble harass me.
I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.
O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself.
I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord. -- Baha'i Prayers - `Abdu'l-bahá
- A mother may forget her child,
When stirred by passions fierce and wild,
But God will not forget his own;
Faith rests on this foundation stone.
No greater love a friend can give,
Than die to let his comrade live.
But God his love doth thus commend,
He died for foe as well as friend.
Oh matchless love, oh love divine,
Come dwell in this glad heart of mine.
Thyself reveal, thyself bestow,
In flood-tide waves my soul o'er flow.
Could I thy deepest depths explore,
I know that I should love thee more.
If I thy highest heights could climb,
I'd love Thee with a love sublime.
Could I but know the breadth and length,
And Thou thyself would give me strength,
I'd cease to sing "more love to thee,"
For I should Love as thou lovest me. -- Divine Love - Charles Wesley Turner
Next ArticleRead This