Sign up for AARP’s The Daily newsletter covering COVID-19 and more — sent Monday through Friday.
AARP Bulletin, November 23, 2009
Best Thanksgiving Story
Here’s one with a powerful and memorable ending. Share it with friends and family. It appeared originally in the Washington Post on Nov. 23, 1978. More >>
The Author Speaks: Service With a Smile
It was the end of a busy Friday night dinner shift. Waitress Candacy Taylor sat in the back of a San Francisco restaurant with her exhausted coworkers, griping about their aching feet and the frustrations of the job. More >>
What I Really Know
The AARP Bulletin’s What I Really Know column comes from our readers. Each month we solicit short personal essays on a selected topic and post some of our favorites in print and online. These represent the best regarding the Thanksgiving holiday and spending time with family.
• Family Get-Togethers: Through the Years
• Family Get-Togethers: Managed Chaos
• Family Get-Togethers: Brandy in the Soufflé
• Day-After-Thanksgiving Shopping
• Interact: Tell Us Why You’re Thankful
Myths & Facts About Thanksgiving
Think you know the holiday’s history? Find out what’s true and what’s false about the history of Thanksgiving and the holiday around it. More >>
• NFL: Green Bay @ Detroit - 12:30 p.m. on FOX
• NFL: Oakland @ Dallas - 4:15 p.m. on CBS
• NFL: NY Giants @ Denver - 8:20 p.m. on NFL Network
• NBA: Orlando @ Atlanta - 8 p.m. on TNT
• NBA: Chicago @ Utah - 10:30 p.m. on TNT
• CFB: Texas @ Texas A&M - 8 p.m. on ESPN
• Eating Healthy in Hard Times
• Fat or Fit: Who Says You Can’t Be Both?
• Myth Buster: Thanksgiving Stupor—Is Turkey to Blame?
• Duck! It’s the Holidays
• Turkey With Stuffing and Lime-Cranberry Sauce (SJ)
• Eat the Way the Pilgrims Did (Prime Time Radio)
• Chinese American Thanksgiving Turkey (AARP The Magazine)
• Survey Reveals the Changing Travel Habits of Americans
• Holiday Road Trip: The Thrifty Way (AARP.org)
• Peter Greenberg: Thanksgiving Get-Together (AARP.org)
• Keep Checking to Avoid Steep Holiday Airfares
• More Americans Sing, ‘I’ll Stay Home for Christmas’
• Sky-High Luggage: Pack Smartly or Be Ready to Pay
• Save a Buck: Gas Comparison Websites
• Save a Buck: Ship ’n’ Save
• Save a Buck: Airport Freebies
• Fly Right: Holiday Air Travel Tips (AARP The Magazine)
• Buying a New TV: What You Need to Know
• Retail Losing Streak Despite Holiday Blitz
• Save a Buck: Gift Card Gotchas
• Flat-Screen Savings
• Save a Buck: Gift Cards Into Dollars
• Reader Essay: What I Really Know About Buying Gifts
• Save a Buck: Shopper’s Helper
• Cut Down on Catalogs
• Tips on Avoiding Holiday Shopping Blunders (AARP.org)
Thanksgiving on TV
Can you guess the name of the TV program for each scene? More >>
Laugh-out-loud cartoons have a holiday theme. More >>
A Norman Rockwell Holiday Puzzle
Piece together this iconic image of America in the 1940s. More >>
Please leave your comment below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
You'll start receiving the latest news, benefits, events, and programs related to AARP's mission to empower people to choose how they live as they age.
You can also manage your communication preferences by updating your account at anytime. You will be asked to register or log in.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at