You Can Double the Difference You Make for Vulnerable Seniors — Donate Today, and Your Gift Will Be Matched! Find Out More
by IRS.gov, July 27, 2010|Comments: 0
Editor’s note: Content provided by the Internal Revenue Service. Consult your financial or tax adviser regarding your individual situation.
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the Internal Revenue Service. TAS helps taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm such as not being able to provide necessities like housing, transportation, or food, taxpayers who are seeking help in resolving problems with the IRS, and those who believe an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should. Here are seven things every taxpayer should know about TAS.
1. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS.
2. TAS service is free, confidential, and tailored to meet your needs.
3. You may be eligible for TAS help if you have tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or you believe an IRS procedure just isn't working as it should.
4. TAS helps taxpayers whose problems are causing financial difficulty or significant cost, including the cost of professional representation. This includes businesses as well as individuals.
5. TAS employees know the IRS and how to navigate it. If you qualify for TAS help, your case will be assigned to an advocate who will listen to your problem, help you understand what needs to be done to resolve it, and stay with you every step of the way until your problem is resolved.
6. There is at least one local taxpayer advocate office in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can call your local advocate, whose number is in your phone book, in Pub. 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service -- Your Voice at the IRS, and on the website at www.irs.gov/advocate. You can also call toll-free number at 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059
7. You can learn about your rights and responsibilities as a taxpayer by visiting the TAS online tax toolkit at www.taxtoolkit.irs.gov. You can get updates on hot tax topics by visiting the TAS YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/tasnta and the TAS Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/YourVoiceAtIRS, or by following TAS tweets at http://twitter.com/YourVoiceatIRS.
Please leave your comment below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
Exclusive savings and benefits with the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford.
Members earn points on select Walgreens brand health and wellness products.
Members save $65-$200 on round-trip tickets purchased online.
AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
Manage your email preferences and tell us which topics interest you so that we can prioritize the information you receive.
Explore all that AARP has to offer.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at