Skip to content

Get Free Help with Your Taxes

Free income tax preparation help will be offered to middle-to-low-income Kansans with special attention to individuals 60 and older beginning Monday, February 1, 2010 through the AARP Tax-Aide program. Tax-Aide provides free one-on-one counseling in communities throughout the state and nation.

AARP Tax-Aide began in 1968 with only four volunteers who served 100 people in that tax season. Today the AARP Tax-Aide program has attracted more than 34,600 volunteers and has helped more than 47 million people file their tax returns!

IRS certified volunteers are trained to assist in filing basic tax forms for individuals and families who need help filling out their tax returns. Tax-Aide counselors complete an IRS training course in income tax return preparation and are trained to complete both federal and state income tax forms.

“We encourage people to take the anxiety out of tax time and seek help from volunteers at one of our Tax-Aide sites,” said AARP Kansas State Tax-Aide Coordinator Bill Fritschen. “In addition to assistance with state and federal income taxes, volunteers can help taxpayers file for the food sales tax and homestead refunds.

The food sales tax and homestead refunds provide tax relief to those who are on limited incomes and 55 or older or disabled. Tax-Aide volunteers can help determine if Kansans qualify for the food sales tax or homestead exemptions and assist them in completing the forms. Residents must file a tax return in order to receive the refunds.

So, what should you bring when you visit an AARP Tax-Aide site? Fritschen recommends:

  • Copy of last year’s income tax returns
  • W-2 forms
  • Unemployment compensation statements
  • SSA-1099 if you were paid Social Security benefits
  • All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DV, 1099-misc, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends, as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
  • 1099 R forms if you receive a pension or annuity
  • All forms indicating federal income tax paid
  • Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
  • Social Security numbers for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
  • Property tax form for homestead refund
  • Detailed summary of receipts for deductible items if itemizing
  • New car documentation showing sales tax paid
  • Documentation for those seeking new homebuyers credit

Kansas taxpayers can find the site closest to their home by visiting our web page at or, or by calling our toll-free number, 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669). Tax assistance on the Internet is available all year round.

AARP Tax-Aide is administered through the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated, 501 (c)(3) nonpartisan charitable organization. The AARP Foundation administers publicly and privately funded programs, such as AARP Tax-Aide and the AARP Senior Community Service Employment Program.

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.