Skip to content

Stressed about Taxes? Let AARP Tax-Aide Help

Don’t sweat it out this tax season. AARP Tax-Aide can lend you a helping hand if you’re moderate- or low-income, with special attention given to Nebraskans age 60 and over.

Sponsored by the AARP Foundation working in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service, AARP Tax-Aide provides free tax counseling and preparation services from Feb. 1 to April 15. Trained volunteers at AARP Tax-Aide sites across Nebraska stand ready and eager to help older taxpayers file their returns and answer their tax questions.

“We encourage people to reduce anxiety by seeking assistance from our team of knowledgeable and dedicated volunteers,” said Betty Hayman, Nebraska’s state coordinator for AARP Tax-Aide.

Besides assistance with federal and state income taxes, volunteers can help taxpayers file for the state homestead exemption, the federal Earned Income Tax Credit and the state Earned Income Tax Credit. The homestead exemption offers property tax relief to homeowners on limited incomes who are 65 or over or disabled. Hayman added that both the federal and state earned income tax credits are refundable income tax credits for low-income wage earners. To be eligible, individuals must file a return.

Last year, 139 AARP Tax-Aide volunteers prepared over 8,100 tax returns across the state. They join more than 35,000 AARP Tax-Aide volunteers across the country, helping millions of taxpayers each year. The program accounted for more than $8.7 million in tax refunds for Nebraska taxpayers in 2010.

Locate an AARP Tax-aide site near you online, or call our toll- free number, 1-888-687-2277.

In order for Tax-Aide to assist with your taxes, please bring:

  • Copy of last year’s income tax returns
  • W-2 forms from each employer
  • Unemployment compensation statements
  • SSA-1099 if you were paid Social Security benefits
  • All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DV, 1099-misc, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends, as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
  • 1099 R forms if you receive a pension or annuity
  • All forms indicating federal income tax paid
  • Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
  • A list of itemized deductions that can be supported with receipts
  • Social Security numbers for all dependents

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.