Skip to content

Need Help with Your Taxes?

It’s that time of year again.

Time to prepare your tax returns for 2010.

And this year, as in past years, more than 300 volunteers with the AARP Tax-Aide program in Kansas stand ready to assist taxpayers across the state. Beginning Jan. 31, the free tax service will be available to low-to-moderate income taxpayers with special attention to those ages 60 and older. You need not be a member of AARP or a retiree to take advantage of this service. And this year, the IRS has extended the filing deadline to April 18 due to the Emancipation Day holiday celebrated in the District of Columbia.

In addition to tax preparation, the Tax-Aide program also offers “e” or electronic-filing at most of its sites which often results in faster refunds for those who qualify to receive a refund. This year, the Kansas Tax-Aide program is better equipped to handle more e-filings thanks to a $25,000 grant it received from the Lewis Humphreys Charitable Trust, through its Trustee, Bank of America.

“The money will be used to buy computer equipment for the most part,” said Bill Fritschen, State Coordinator of the AARP Tax-Aide program in Kansas who applied for the grant. “We feel most fortunate and are excited to have the funding.”

In 2011, volunteers will be preparing taxes at more than 100 sites throughout the state. The sites vary in operation with some operating as “walk in” sites serving clients on a first come, first served basis and others operating by appointment only.

Every Tax-Aide counselor is required to pass an IRS test each year prior to becoming certified to prepare taxes and to attend tax schools each year to further enhance their abilities to accurately prepare their clients’ tax returns. The Kansas Tax-Aide sites are some of the most efficient and productive sites in the nation according to IRS records.
Find a Tax-Aide site near you or call 888-227-7669. You can also find out what information you’ll need to bring with you for tax preparation, such as W-2 forms and copies of last year’s income tax returns, on the internet sites.

Join the Discussion

0 %{widget}% | Add Yours

You must be logged in to leave a comment.