Do you consider yourself tech savvy? The AARP Fraud Watch Network has heard from many victims of a scam involving viruses on home computers. Take this short assessment to determine whether you might be at risk.
1. Have you received a call from someone claiming to be with Microsoft or another major computer company?
2. Have you allowed a tech support representative to remotely access your computer?
3. Has a pop-up window warned you of a virus on your computer?
4. Have you called a tech support help line that you found by performing an online search?
5. Have you provided a password or credit card information or sent a check to someone who contacted you unsolicited?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, you may have been the victim of a common tech support scam. Determine whether you were a victim and learn about avoiding this scam.