Skip to content

Missing Savings Bonds

Q. I think my grandparents, who have passed on, left me savings bonds. I’ve looked everywhere but can’t locate them. What should I do?

A. If you believe your late grandparents had savings bonds in their name, go online to and use the Treasury Hunt tool. You’ll need to plug in the bondholder’s Social Security number.

The Treasury Hunt only includes bonds issued from 1974 to the present. For information on bonds issued before that date, write to Bureau of the Public Debt, P.O. Bond 7012, Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012. Include as much information about the bonds in question, including names, addresses and approximate issue dates. If the bond records are found, the bureau will let you know how to claim the redemption value.

Source: Stephen Meyerhardt - Public Affairs Officer, Bureau of the Public Debt


Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.