Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.
AARP Michigan, April 15, 2010
Don’t ignore the problem of foreclosure, as the situation can often be fixed if you act quickly. There are many options for foreclosure prevention, including the following:
Get housing counseling as your first step.
These agencies (both state and federal) will work with you for no cost:
• MSHDA Hotline: 866-946-7432
• HUD Hotline: 800-569-4287
• Oakland County 248-452-9200
• Lighthouse: 248-920-6060
• FHA: 800-CALL-FHA
• Veterans: 800-729-5722
• United Way: 211
Call the bank or mortgage company’s loss mitigation department.
• Don’t talk to the collections department.
• Be insistent.
• Explain your situation.
• Stay in your home, as you may not qualify for assistance if you leave.
Don’t fall for foreclosure recovery scams.
• Don’t pay a fee for services you can get for free (counselors listed above).
• Don’t sign your deed over to anyone. You may still be responsible for the loan.
• Don’t sign a document appointing someone to represent you.
• Don’t make a quick decision under pressure.
• Don’t sign papers with blank spaces.
• Don’t fall for the “we’re the only ones who can help you” line.
You will lose your home and credit rating if you do nothing.
Please leave your comment below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
Get tips and resources to protect yourself from fraud and see the latest scam alerts in your state.
Members save 15% on in-store purchases of frozen yogurt, treats and apparel.
Exclusive program for members from The Hartford.
AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
Manage your email preferences and tell us which topics interest you so that we can prioritize the information you receive.
Explore all that AARP has to offer.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at