Skip to content

ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More


Paying Taxes on Gifted Stocks

Q. My father is giving us shares of stocks. When we sell them, will we have to pay taxes?

A. Probably. If your father bought the shares for $1,000 five years ago, and you sell them for $3,000, you'd owe taxes on the $2,000 in capital gains. But if you sold the shares for less than $1,000, you'd take a capital loss and reduce your taxes. Consult an accountant or legal adviser for details.

Expert: Linda Stern.

Carole Fleck is a senior editor at the AARP Bulletin.

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

Next Article

Read This