Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Ask the Experts: Tax Deductions for Adult Son’s Health Care Premiums - AARP B... Skip to content

Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.


Tax Deductions for Son’s Health Care Premiums

Q. I am 70 years old. My adult son is currently unemployed. To help him out, I am paying his monthly health care premiums. Can I deduct that amount on my IRS tax return?

A. No. Because your son is an adult and not your dependent, you cannot deduct his premium amount on your tax return. You are allowed to count medical and dental bills for you, your spouse and your dependents toward the medical deduction limit.

In certain situations, you may count medical expenses that you paid for a parent, even if he or she is not a dependent—such as the diagnosis or treatment of disease, medical equipment and supplies, and insurance premiums. For a detailed list of deductions, go to the IRS online at

Source: Jean Setzfand, AARP

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.