Starting June 1, Floridians face another hurricane season. Official predictions suggest that this season could be as challenging as the difficult 2005 hurricane season, or even the disastrous, history-making 2004 season.
By now, no Floridian should need encouragement to get ready, but what to do? To help Floridians 50+ be prepared, AARP Florida offers the following “Preparedness Principles.” Follow these steps to get ready for whatever comes our way:
- Review your insurance policy.
- Defend your home against hurricane winds.
- Prepare hurricane evacuation and return kits.
- Evacuate – the smart way.
- Plan what to do with pets.
- Consider an electrical generator for emergency power.
- Document your home and possessions.
To learn more about each of these important principles, AARP Florida offers a series of stories.