Hundreds of member benefits. One convenient place to explore them. Check them out!
May 15, 2009
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Eligibility: The AARP "Recession Remodel" Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are 45 years of age or older at the time of entry. To be eligible to win, contestant must own a detached, single-family home and primarily reside at the home in which the remodel measures will be installed. The winner will be required to show proof of home ownership and other documentation that may be necessary to fulfill the prize, as determined by AARP in its sole discretion. Employees of AARP or any of its respective divisions, affiliates, subsidiaries, and promotional or marketing agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees are not eligible. The term "immediate family members" includes spouses, parents, siblings, and children. Entering the contest constitutes the Contest entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of the following rules. The Contest is sponsored by and administered by AARP (the "Sponsor"). Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited.
2. How To Enter: The Contest begins at 12 a.m. E.T. on May 15, 2009 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. E.T. on June 14, 2009 (the "Contest Period") To enter, send an email to email@example.com with your name, age, home address (including street address, city state and zip code), telephone number, gender, and names and ages of other household members, and attach up to three (3) digital photographs of your home's kitchen and/or bathroom you would like to be remodeled. Digital photographs must be in jpg, .jpeg, or .gif format and no larger than 500 kilobytes (500 KB) in size. The photograph(s) you submit must be an original photograph for which you own the copyright or have secured the right to distribute without restriction. Photographs may not include images of identifiable people. You must also submit an essay of two hundred and fifty (250) words or less that describes the physical challenges you face with the current design of your kitchen and/or bathroom for you and/or other resident, and/or your need/desire to proactively incorporate universal (more user-friendly) design changes to your kitchen or bathroom to better accommodate safer and more comfortable living for all residents and visitors, and explains why you deserve to win the Contest ("Essay"). The Essay may be in the text of the email or attached as a .doc file. Essays and photos may not contain material that is sexually explicit, disparaging, libelous, indecent, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The use of automated entries or programs or entries submitted by third parties is prohibited and such entries will be disqualified. All entries will become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, and publish any or all of the Contest submissions and may use them in any media without attribution or compensation to the entrant or any other person or entity.
All entries must be submitted by 11:59:59 E.T. on June 14, 2009 to be eligible. Limit one (1) entry per household and per street address. AARP will not be responsible for incomplete, late, or misdirected entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor. In the event of a dispute, all entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the name appearing on the entry form.
Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted will be determined by AARP in its sole discretion, and AARP reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest. By submitting a photograph(s) and essay in the Contest, you agree to be bound by all terms and conditions of these Official rules, including without limitation the grant of official rights set forth in Paragraph 4.
3. Winner Selection: Eligible entries will be judged under the supervision of Sponsor. On or about June 30, 2009, two (2) Winners, will be selected based on the following criteria ("Criteria"): (i) demonstrated the need/desire for universal (more user-friendly) design features to promote safer and more comfortable living for all residents (60%); (ii) size/affordability of project to be remodeled with universal (or more user-friendly) design features/principles (20%); (iii) home is located in a community that promotes better livability for its residents, including access to public transportation options, walking distance to shops/services/retail/health facilities, etc. (10%); (iv) desire to leverage the benefits of universal design in a household with several generations living together (10%)
For more information on Universal Design, Aging in Place and the Contest, visit www.aarp.org/remodel.
The decisions of Sponsor are final in all matters relating to the Contest. Potential prize winners are subject to verification by Sponsor. Limit one (1) prize per household per person.
4. AARP Use of Your Photo(s) and Essay: If you are selected as a Winner, Sponsor may post your photo(s) and essay on www.aarp.org/remodel. It may also be included in AARP publications, AARP television and/or radio programs, AARP e-newsletters, etc. Accordingly, by submitting a photograph in the Contest, you acknowledge and agree that Sponsor shall have the right (without limitation or further compensation to you) to edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, publish, promote, display and otherwise use your entry in any way it sees fit, including the right to publish your entry online and in print, as described herein.
5. Prizes: Two prize-winning homeowners and their homes will be selected by Sponsor in accordance with judging criteria set forth herein. The Contest prizes to be awarded will be up to $5,000.00 in universal design-focused home improvements and updates in each winning home, including design plans, product and features included in the remodel plans, and installation by interior designers, contractors or other home improvement professionals. Prize measures will be delivered and installed by Sponsor and participating interior designers and contractors. Sponsor shall not be liable or responsible in any way for the installation or any contractor or designer acts or omissions related to it. Initial design consultations and installation dates will likely occur between July 15, 2009 and October 1, 2009, and the actual dates within such timeframe will be as mutually agreed upon between AARP and the potential winners. By accepting the prizes, winners release Sponsor from any responsibility for the maintenance or repair of the prizes.
Winners may waive their right to receive a prize. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable. No substitution or transfer of prizes is permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize or any component thereof is not available.
6. Notice: Potential winners will be notified by AARP by mail or phone on or about June 30, 2009. Winners will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity and Location Release within fourteen (14) days of the date on the prize notification.
7. General Conditions: Without limiting the generality of the eligibility requirements stated herein, each winner must represent and warrant that he/she is the rightful and unencumbered owner of the home in which the remodel measures will be installed. Furthermore, each winner acknowledges and agrees that he/she shall be responsible for providing any and all licenses, permits or other documentation necessary to fulfill the prize by August 1, 2009 or on a date determined by Sponsor. By accepting and/or using the Contest prizes, winners agree to allow Sponsor to use his/her name, voice and/or likeness for the purpose of advertising, trade or promotion in all media, including but not limited to on air and within www.aarp.org and allow media coverage at the winner's home before, during and after installation period without further compensation, unless prohibited by law and agree to execute specific consent to such use upon request. For the avoidance of doubt, such media coverage includes TV, radio, print media interviews with the winners and periodic online journal updates for www.aarp.org provided by the winners as determined by Sponsor.
Sponsor's inability to reach a winner, the return of any prize notification as undeliverable and/or a winner's failure to timely respond to prize notification, sign and return the required affidavit/releases, or comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may result in disqualification of winner, forfeiture of his or her interest in all prizes, and selection of a substitute winner from among all remaining eligible entries, using the Criteria described above. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
Your entry in this Contest constitutes your consent to be bound by these official rules, and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final in all respects. Selected entries are subject to verification prior to awarding a prize. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants are solely responsible for their own conduct and agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and the directors, officers, employees and agents of each, from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest or any prize won. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion
Please leave your comment below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
Manage your email preferences and tell us which topics interest you so that we can prioritize the information you receive.
Explore all that AARP has to offer.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at