For Your Health
- Cut back on sweetener by using ripe, in-season fruit.
- Just freeze your favorite fruit or veggie smoothie.
- Sweeten with all-fruit preserves — options include strawberry, raspberry and cherry.
- For creaminess, mix a puree of bananas with coconut milk and/or Greek yogurt.
Smart Pop Tips
- Before freezing, taste the fruit puree to balance sweetness with tartness. Stir in lemon juice, lime juice or raspberry vinegar if desired.
- Rainbow pops: Prepare the different-colored layers, such as pureed kiwi, mango and raspberry, at staggered times.
- Reusable ice-pop molds, an alternative to wooden sticks, are under $10.
- Add a shot of booze to the fruit blend — bourbon to peaches, lemon vodka to strawberries or Campari to grapefruit juice.
- Steep fresh mint, basil or rosemary in sugar syrup before it cools. (To make, pour one-third cup sugar into one-third cup hot water and stir until dissolved.) Discard the herbs.
Basic Recipe (6 servings)
- Fruit plus sweetener
- 2 cups fruit, pureed
- One-half cup juice or sugar syrup, or honey to taste