Skip to content

I declined enrolling in Medicare Part B when I turned 65. I am now 67. Can I still enroll in Part B?

En español | Yes, but only during specific enrollment periods. You can file online for Medicare during the general enrollment period (GEP) from Jan. 1 through Mar. 31 of each year. Medicare enrollments filed during the GEP will begin July 1. Generally, a 10 percent premium penalty will be added to the Part B monthly premium for each year you could have enrolled but did not.

However, if you are covered by an employer or union group health plan through you or your spouse's employment, you may qualify for a special enrollment period. If you meet the requirements for a special enrollment period, you do not have to wait for a GEP or pay a premium penalty. You have an eight-month special enrollment period if you had group health plan coverage from your or your spouse’s current employer at the time you first became eligible for Medicare.

This special enrollment period begins with the month after employment ends or the month after your group health plan coverage ends, whichever comes first.

The Latest

    View More
    Skip Google Map Content

    In Your City

    Your City Name

    Enter address, city, state, or ZIP code.

    Hide Filter Results
    Filter Results
    Distance (in miles)

      AARP In Your State

      Visit the AARP state page for information about events, news and resources near you.